Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2008, 10:50 AM

Default CPU USAGE IS UP TO 75% WHEN PT IS OPEN?

Ok, im runnin the Mbox with Protools 7.2.1 I use a pc with a dual core intell processor witha gig of ram. I have been running protools with no probloms for the past year, but within the last days i started noticing that it is moveing real slow.

Ill explain more.

Whenever im going to start a session, play back, audio and everything is fine. It plays automaticly when i hit spacebar. The problom is when i arm a track to record sometimes it can take up to 1 full minute before it actually starts to record. It kinda just gets stuck, and doesent allow me to press anything, Then when it feels like it, it records.

I brought up the box were it shows the Cpu usuage. It shows that protools is using up about 75% of the computers resorces. this happens in any session that i start or open! regardless if im using plug ins or not. so i dont understand what the problom is.

As soon as i close the session (protools is still open) The cpu usuage drops to 0 or 1%. Again protools is open with no active session and the cpu drops back down to normal.

When i do have a session open its usually no more than 7-10 mono tracks for the beats that i load up. Again i have been using it for a full year with no probloms untill now.

I have not tried to re install becouse im scared that it might not work again. I had probloms when i first purchased it. It wouldent output any audio. I found a temp fix for it tho. But anyways, DOes anyone have any idea why it would do this?

I set my buffer to high. actually i tried all the options and nothing seems to work. Re starting unplugging the mbox etc.

One this that i did notice is that my harddrive has only about 10gigs left. Do you think this might be causing the problom? I will try to get rid of some sessions and also defragment the disk. But i have no idea why protools is using so much of the CPu.

If i compleatly terminate Pt my computers task manager will show that the computer is back to running as normal. Please help me. I hate using anything else. But i have experinced nothing but probloms with Protools.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:59 PM

Default Re: CPU USAGE IS UP TO 75% WHEN PT IS OPEN?

Quote:
Ok, im runnin the Mbox with Protools 7.2.1 I use a pc with a dual core intell processor witha gig of ram. I have been running protools with no probloms for the past year, but within the last days i started noticing that it is moveing real slow.

Ill explain more.

Whenever im going to start a session, play back, audio and everything is fine. It plays automaticly when i hit spacebar. The problom is when i arm a track to record sometimes it can take up to 1 full minute before it actually starts to record. It kinda just gets stuck, and doesent allow me to press anything, Then when it feels like it, it records.

I brought up the box were it shows the Cpu usuage. It shows that protools is using up about 75% of the computers resorces. this happens in any session that i start or open! regardless if im using plug ins or not. so i dont understand what the problom is.

As soon as i close the session (protools is still open) The cpu usuage drops to 0 or 1%. Again protools is open with no active session and the cpu drops back down to normal.

When i do have a session open its usually no more than 7-10 mono tracks for the beats that i load up. Again i have been using it for a full year with no probloms untill now.

I have not tried to re install becouse im scared that it might not work again. I had probloms when i first purchased it. It wouldent output any audio. I found a temp fix for it tho. But anyways, DOes anyone have any idea why it would do this?

I set my buffer to high. actually i tried all the options and nothing seems to work. Re starting unplugging the mbox etc.

One this that i did notice is that my harddrive has only about 10gigs left. Do you think this might be causing the problom? I will try to get rid of some sessions and also defragment the disk. But i have no idea why protools is using so much of the CPu.

If i compleatly terminate Pt my computers task manager will show that the computer is back to running as normal. Please help me. I hate using anything else. But i have experinced nothing but probloms with Protools.
I'm certainly not a PT "expert" but I see you havent yet had a reply. I hope I can help you in some way. I am currently sitting my PT Certification

Firstly, PT alone uses ALOT of system resources. This is well known.
However, I understand your predicament in that its running slowly when you arm a track.
It could be a number of reasons.

Do you have large RTAS programs/virtual instruments loaded into tracks e.g instrument tracks? You mention that you load 7-10 beat tracks. If you have an RTAS/VI open in each track, this will use up system resources VERY quickly. If so, this will slow down things considerably. Try using the VSTi version if you have VST Wrapper - it uses alot less memory/resources.

Secondly, your H/W buffer might be set more for playback rather than recording. Higher levels are more for playback, lower levels more for recording (with lower latency). Try lowering the buffer setting in stages. This will help reduce the latency you are experiencing. I quite often inactivate tracks that I'm not needing (piano, strings, organs) during recording of other parts/tracks - this free's up some extra system resources for the recording process of a particular track (useful if using resource hogging RTAS/VI's)..

10Gigs left on your HD shouldnt be a major issue, however, I would suggest removing or backing up older sessions that are no longer used/accessed on your HD. This will free up HD space for further recordings and be easier to navigate in general.

Another option is removing any unneccessary memory programs that get loaded into memory during your system startup. Is your machine used for other things apart from multitracking in PT? If so, alot of other program, devices drivers (VXD's) are loaded into memory. Try using MSCONFIG to remove these at startup (this will free up more system resources).

Try these (if you haven't already) and see if it makes any difference.
Tim..
Old 01-28-2008, 07:47 AM

I dont experience latency. It compleatly freezes when i hit record. It stays stuck for like 2 min. then it will record.

I dont use alot of effects when im recording, actually non. So i have no Rtas or Vst's open. This has been happening to brand new sessions. Before mixing. All durring recording.

I freed up room on my hard drive and it seems to be moveing pretty smooth. Im also defragmenting it and stuff.

But still, if anyone has any idea to why it might be doing this please let me know!

THIS IS HAPPENING WHEN I HAVE NO RTAS PLUG INS AT ALL, JUST THE NORMAL AUDIO FILES IN THE START OF A NEW SESSION!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:24 AM
Avid

You should start with the steps in the Win XP/ Pro Tools 6.x/7.x General Troubleshooting thread and post specific info on your system per the info on that thread if you're unable to resolve the problem.

You may want to look at the Help us help you thread as well.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 AM

If i new all the specifics of my computer i would have posted them, but i dont, How abut digi design looking into bien compatable with all systems, and upgrading there customer service, Cause this [bleep] SUCKS
Old 01-28-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
If i new all the specifics of my computer i would have posted them, but i dont,
If you would actually read the links that Digi provided, you would find a way to provide the details needed... even if you don't currently know them.

This from the General Troubleshooting link:

Quote:
Note: To enable other users to help you, please include all of your system details when posting an issue to the DUC; Pro Tools hardware, Pro Tools software version, CPU, OS version, Motherboard make/model, chipset, amount of RAM, type of hard drives used, etc.

- SiSoftware's Sandra Lite application can be used to post your full system profile:
www.sisoftware.co.uk
Under SiSoftware Sandra, click on "Download & Buy" to download the free Sandra Lite version or purchase other versions. After installing Sandra, click on the 'Hardware' tab and run the 'Computer Overview', then copy and paste into your post here on the DUC.