Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 12-06-2018, 08:51 AM

Default C24/D-series upgrade from ProControl?

I have a Pro Control (main,) Edit Pack, and Fader Pack in an Argosy 90-Series console. Been happy with PT10 HDX and HDIO, but now feeling the pressure to move the system forward. I'm very happy with the Nyrink solution to at least keep the faders and basic working in PT2018... congrats and thank you to Paul for doing this, I'll buy it regardless of what I do to support him... but since I would have to remove the Edit Pack from the set-up, I'm considering other control surface options.

S3 and PTDock seem nice, but not quite enough compared to how my complete system works with PT10HD... and I really do love all the dedicated buttons that Pro Controls gives with PT10. I would love an S6 M10 (S6 M40 is so far out of my price range) but even the S6 M10 is a huge stretch.

I'm considering a used DControl, DCommand, C24 even though those are End of Life, they are working now. Perhaps wait it out and hope Avid returns with something like the C24 price point? Any advise for people who have gone the C24/D-series route after ProControls?

GearGuy
Old 12-06-2018, 08:36 PM

Default Re: C24/D-series upgrade from ProControl?

Just one opinion, but I would try to wait a bit and see if something new comes out in the new year. Given the age of the out-going stuff, I suspect(and hope) that Avid have some new stuff in development. Opinions vary, but I spent an hour with the S6 when it was newly released(local GC had a demo unit) and I hated it, compared to the D-Command/D-Control(and never spent any time on the Pro Control). I like the S3 a lot(even better combined with the DOCK) except for the pricing(used pricing makes that much more agreeable) I can't believe that with Artist Series going away and EOL on D and C surfaces, that we won't see something pretty soon

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-06-2018, 09:08 PM

You need to explain yourself a bit more here Dave

Why did you Hate the S6 as that is a strong emotion? Price maybe?

We ordered a S6 M40 48 faders with many extras which cost the same as a pretty nice vacation property by the water out here in Sweden so I hope it will do everything we need it to do and more. Only spent a few hours here and there as a studio we work with sometimes has one but only the M10 version.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-09-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post

We ordered a S6 M40 48 faders with many extras which cost the same as a pretty nice vacation property by the water out here in Sweden so I hope it will do everything we need it to do and more. Only spent a few hours here and there as a studio we work with sometimes has one but only the M10 version.
Fair enough The price was/is a turn-off, for sure(though many users have deeper pockets than me), but for me, it was how crowded I felt the surface is. It just felt like way too many buttons that were way too small(but again, this is just my 2 cents), so I encourage anyone in the market, to sit down in front of one and dig in. I would never claim that its not a capable surface. Its just down to my prefs(and 98% of my work is very "straight-ahead" music production(so your needs may call for a very different approach).

I also encourage all to join the ACA group as I expect members will get the earliest inclination of any possible new hardware to come

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-10-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post

The S6 M40 is a very competent and flexible surface for many needs. There is some learning curve coming from a D-Command or Control but the size of the buttons have not hindered use. Make sure the console is well lit and you’ll be able to see everything.

GearGuy, I feel your pain. The market is sorely missing a middle range console. I’d hold off on any D-Command purchases. Avid might have something in the works to fill the gap.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:12 PM

I went from a Pro Control to a D-Command a year or so ago and love it, way better. They are fairly inexpensive these days. I also have an Argosy 90 Series that I was able to put my D-Command in and it looks like it was made for it. FYI, I also have a 16 Channel - Fader Pack. The mods to the desk were very easy.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
The S6 M40 is a very competent and flexible surface for many needs. There is some learning curve coming from a D-Command or Control but the size of the buttons have not hindered use. Make sure the console is well lit and you’ll be able to see everything.
Thank You for that info. Waiting for the delivery sometime before january 20th but our dealer have said it might take a bit longer. Can’t Hardly Wait

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-23-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Just one opinion, but I would try to wait a bit and see if something new comes out in the new year. Given the age of the out-going stuff, I suspect(and hope) that Avid have some new stuff in development. Opinions vary, but I spent an hour with the S6 when it was newly released(local GC had a demo unit) and I hated it, compared to the D-Command/D-Control(and never spent any time on the Pro Control). I like the S3 a lot(even better combined with the DOCK) except for the pricing(used pricing makes that much more agreeable) I can't believe that with Artist Series going away and EOL on D and C surfaces, that we won't see something pretty soon

It seems like they have all their bases covered regarding control surfaces? The Artist Mix is still in production, I think? The Dock covers a large chunk of the functionality of the Artist Control and Transport. S3 seems like a somewhat suitable EUCON replacement to the C24. And the M10 and M40 cover the D Command and D Control. It would be nice to see something new, but there appears to be options currently available in all price brackets?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.