Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2023, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Waves Just went Subscription

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiograce View Post
Yeah... NOT Happy. I really like Clarity Vx/Pro... and have used various Waves plugins for years... but I CAN ... and WILL work around them. I cannot see paying them a $250./year "Convenience fee." Will continue using what I have until it stops working, and then.... goodbye.

It also irritates me that NO warning was given to their loyal userbase. Again, NOT cool.
My thinking as well. Nothing I can't live without. Use the VX Pro a bit and it has been helpful With my new Mac Studio no big deal that it may or may not be Silicon. I ran it on an old Mac Pro Trash Can for a few months when it first cam out and it was even fine before they tweaked it. Worst case Dup tracks and just render variations. A little goes a long way. I certainly do not need all of these, but it's proably still cheaper than the update plans were and also just paying for one of these like VXPro was like paying the yearly fee anyway. Hah. We'll see how their little plan works for them. Been seeing this a lot lately. Glad I diversified my room with ATMOS and other things.
G
P.S. I am a long time user as well and remember paying loads for yearly updates, then jsut quite doing it for a few years.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 03-26-2023, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
25*12=300 which means forced WUP for any user. Use one plugin or all of them, you now pay full WUP every month. No thanks.

They should offer a discount for a year 2 years upfront and so on.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 03-26-2023, 07:11 PM

This is very unfortunate.
Since the news broke out, just in the last few hours it is spreading like wildfire all over social media saying their goodbyes and farewells.
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 03-27-2023, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
I own all the Waves plugins.
WUP was $240 a year.
This new subscription is $250 a year- so no big deal really.

If you own a couple of plugins then, yes that will be irritating, but anyone who was all in is in much the same situation.

My main issue the 2nd license thing.
I hope there is some way to have a second license without having to buy a second subscription.

Surely no user was actually paying $240 for WUP every year though? That sounds like madness considering how unnecessary active WUP actually was. I think I paid it twice in the last decade, purely out of necessity. I own most plugins, but I don't think they are worth paying the now required $250 a year Waves wants moving forward.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Surely no user was actually paying $240 for WUP every year though? That sounds like madness considering how unnecessary active WUP actually was. I think I paid it twice in the last decade, purely out of necessity. I own most plugins, but I don't think they are worth paying the now required $250 a year Waves wants moving forward.
This ��
We only WUPed when compatibility became an issue. For larger companies that have multiple seats, buying the perpetual licenses, and only WUPing when necessary, made the most sense. For 10 seats it will now be $2500 a year? I don't generally have a problem with subscriptions in general; I understand that these companies need steady revenue streams to maintain their infrastructure. But to eliminate any possibility of updates, with zero warning or grace period, at a time when many, many users were waiting for a strategic time to make a company-wide leap to Apple Silicon, this is a clear money grab and will destroy any good will they had with existing customers.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:45 AM

For us it will be $1500 a year only for the 3 plugins we use. Which means Waves is out.

I'm sure as a company they will be fine though. They cater to bedroom musicians just starting out and drooling over old analog compressor emulators. There is a huge market for that and 15-25 $ a month is easier to start using it compared to buying a complete bundle. But I reckon people using only a few plugins and/or buying them on sale once a year will be out.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
25*12=300 which means forced WUP for any user. Use one plugin or all of them, you now pay full WUP every month. No thanks.
Basically, yes... They offer a YEARLY subscription price of $249.00, which is STILL $10.00 more than the WUP if you owned EVERYTHING! ... add that this would be EVERY year! With WUP, one would only need to update as needed, not annually. I don't see this strategy succeeding.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:22 AM

I fall into the unfortunate category - I only own the API eqs and use them on every mix. Does this mean they won’t be updating for Apple silicon for anything other than the subscription?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2023, 08:24 AM

I don't use many plugins from Waves. I have a ton of them, Diamond, Broadcast, 360, etc etc that I bought for compatibility. When I get external sessions. Bought them all on sale and they paid for themselves. But I have no attachment to any of them. I'm just irritated that I won't be able to update them if I do need them for future sessions.

The only one I know of that has no replacement is the Dorrough meters. Also the only one I use every day. I have a hardware stereo set but I like using the 5.1 meters. They're not even necessary it's like a binky (aka dummy), there for comfort.

ClarityVx is the other one I use. I'll just keep using it until it won't work. Its not my first reach but it can sometimes work when others don't.

Those two are all I'll miss so no chance I'm locking myself into a subscription.

I see some people are saying this will be an end to their incessant emails. I think they will just start sending emails about discounted subscriptions
Old 03-27-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Loads of people were.
I was.

Because I had all the plugins and paying WUP meant you got a second license.
I have multiple machines.
Before they offered second licenses I had to move the dongle from one machine to another several times a day.

If it wasn't for the second license then I wouldn't have.

It was always annoying compared to other companies that give you 2 licenses as per usual. Some give 3 (Softube for example). Arturia give 5. Some are not limited in any real sense.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting