Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 12-22-2000, 10:05 AM

Default best system???

i'm about to buy a new system and will make my purchase based on whatever PRO TOOLS FREE demands.

so what's it gonna be?

i was considering a Dell Dimension but heard Dells don't work so good with the PT. what is THE best system for PT?

and, what are some of the best soundcards?

also: what's this about IDE yada yada harddrive RPMs yada yada----
i don't know about that stuff.

can someone help me?
i'd appreciate it.

--drew
Old 12-22-2000, 04:57 PM

Default Re: best system???

Hey Terry C,

I've had the same problems with increasing crackle on SBLive. The quick band-aid is to open SETUPS/HARDWARE and just click "OK". That should allow a few repetitions of the tracks you're playing before the crackle starts to build up again. I'm in the habit of clicking the "hardware OK" on every stop just to make sure I get a clean start.
Old 12-23-2000, 12:10 AM

Default Re: best system???

A couple of points you might be interested in. I have a Dell Dimension 433 Celeron. It has a Soundblaster Live card, 128 MB Ram and a 6GB Hard drive. I don't know what speed, but I suspect 5800rpm.Had a problem with the system crashing during launch. But, after downloading the new driver for the Soundblaster card from the Creative website(the announcement of the new PT Free release contains the site address),PT Free opened fine. Seems to work good. The only continuing problem I've noticed is that after using the Expander RTA plug in on an imported wave file, I get audio stutter/crackle. Even after disabling the plug in, the stutter consistently gets worse. However, when I close the session down and reopen, the file plays fine, with no snap crackle or pop. Whatever the problem is seems to be playback only.
So, bottom line, a Dell, even a 433 Celeron like mine, can handle PT Free. I would definitely check the other DUC postings for advice on soundcard drivers if you don't have the Soundblaster card. Good luck. IT really is a great program and you'll have a lot of fun with it.
Terry C