Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2013, 10:20 AM

Default No PT 11 HD software purchase??

Is that true? Am I wrong in thinking that AVID is all but straight out asking me to purchase Nuendo? There is no way on earth I am going to buy any more hardware...
Old 08-01-2013, 10:24 AM

Default Re: No PT 11 HD software purchase??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob DeMaa View Post
Is that true? Am I wrong in thinking that AVID is all but straight out asking me to purchase Nuendo? There is no way on earth I am going to buy any more hardware...
Hi,

Hd software has always been sold exclusive with the hardware!

i take it you don't currently have HD hardware/software? In which case there is no software only purchase option!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:29 AM

yeah, long story short I've owned some version of every version of PT since going back to v3. Since around V9 I sold my HD Rig and went native which was fine at the time, but now I need surround etc. etc. I'm just surprised I can't upgrade PT10 native to PT11 HD and that it looks as if they have discontinued the CPTK?... It's confusing honestly.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:39 AM

Nothing has changed, this has always been the case you cant but just the HD software or upgrade from Pro Tools native/LE software to HD software. If you happen to own CPTK (sounds like you don't) then there is a deal to upgrade to that since CPTK is going away.

The silliness IMNSHO is making CPTK go away and still keeping HD software forcibly bundled with hardware.

Logic Pro X does surround everything and costs $200.... sigh.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:46 AM

Right?! I agree it's silliness. I don't have an MBA though, so what do I know :P.

Logic is great, I have it and actually prefer it over pro tools for just about everything up to and including 5.1. But when it comes to anything beyond 5.1 or needing multiple surround outputs Logic fails miserably... Logic is also limited IMHO to only 64 busses. For most people this is fine, it's just that the bigger surround mixes I've done have used them all up.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:17 AM

Logic Pro previously supported 7.1 -- yes I know with some issues, Logic Pro X supports 7.1 (I think they added a proper 7.1 panner, not looked at it, surround is not my thing). Have you looked at the surround features in the new Logic Pro X?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:29 AM

Logic X's mixer and output configs are the exact same as 9. There are 7.1 configs, but they are not ITU and sadly the panner is the exact same 5.1 panner regardless of how the I/O has been configured. Granted I'm probably on the very very short list of customers who even care about such things, but this was the biggest thing I was hoping would change in X, and it's completely ignored so far. Oddly enough, if you dig around in the pkg there are icons for correct 7.1 ITU config, so maybe it's something they are working on and will fix in an update... Other than that I love Logic X so far.