Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 07-24-2011, 05:00 AM

Default Getting Pro Tools 9 to work with Yamaha 01v96VCM Version 2 digital mixer

Hi there,

I've got a Yamaha 01v96VCM Version 2 digital mixer and I would like to connect it to Pro Tools so that it can function as a multi-track recorder of live music. This copy of Pro Tools is version 9, and it's been installed on a HP Pavilion dv6 laptop running Windows 7, 64-bit.

During setup of Pro Tools for the first time, we were told that an audio interface was needed. So we connected an Mbox 2 to the laptop using a USB cable. When Pro Tools had been successfully set up, we connected the laptop to the Yamaha using a USB cable. We downloaded and installed the driver and after several repeated reboots of the laptop and mixer, to cut the story short, the Yamaha was recognised by the laptop.

However, despite following instructions to work the settings under 'peripherals' I've still been unsuccessful getting the Yamaha to work with Pro Tools: this message appears repeatedly: 'Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI. Power-cycle HUI and check its connections. Note, if HUI is not in use, update the Peripherals dialog to prevent further warnings.'

During one the tryouts, we thought that if the Mbox2 wasn't connected, the laptop wouldn't become 'confused' and would automatically 'choose' the Yamaha as its operating interface. We were wrong. Pro Tools asked us to connect the Mbox. A check on the devices showed tha the Mbox was the only device detected.

Would be grateful if I could find out how we can get the Yamaha to communicate and work with Pro Tools, thanks!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Getting Pro Tools 9 to work with Yamaha 01v96VCM Version 2 digital mixer

You shouldn't have to have the mbox connected. Disconnect the MBox and restart ProTools holding down the N key. When the hardware setup comes up go to I/O and make sure that you have your Yamaha selected and deselect "New Session Overwrites I/O" or something to that effect. That should prevent PT from searching for the Mbox when you start it.

As far as the HUI issues, I can't help with that. Did you check the common problems FAQ in this forum?
1 x 1TB System Drive
1 x 320Gig Seagate HDD
1 x 500Gig Seagate HDD
UAD-2 Solo
Steinberg UR44
KRK RP5
Windows 10 Pro. 64 bit
Sonar Platinum
Cubase 8
Sony Acid Pro 7
Sampletank 2 XL
EZDrummer
Guitar Rig 5
ProTools 12.3

All legit software thank you very much.

Yes I have a low post count but only because I don't have a lot of problems with my gear.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Getting Pro Tools 9 to work with Yamaha 01v96VCM Version 2 digital mixer

The 01V does not pass audio through USB. The USB connection is only if you want to use it as a control surface for Pro Tools or another DAW.

To use it as an audio device, it must be connected via FireWire, or into another interface via the analog or digital outputs.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-24-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
The 01V does not pass audio through USB. The USB connection is only if you want to use it as a control surface for Pro Tools or another DAW.

To use it as an audio device, it must be connected via FireWire, or into another interface via the analog or digital outputs.
+1 I did not catch that. I suppose I should read first next time.
1 x 1TB System Drive
1 x 320Gig Seagate HDD
1 x 500Gig Seagate HDD
UAD-2 Solo
Steinberg UR44
KRK RP5
Windows 10 Pro. 64 bit
Sonar Platinum
Cubase 8
Sony Acid Pro 7
Sampletank 2 XL
EZDrummer
Guitar Rig 5
ProTools 12.3

All legit software thank you very much.

Yes I have a low post count but only because I don't have a lot of problems with my gear.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:56 AM

If Im not too late on this thread here's my setup.
Its a 16 recording setup using a Yamaha 01v96 with an Audinate Dante MY-16 card installed in the card slot on the back of the mixer. The Dante card sends 16 tracks straight to my laptop over an ethernet cable. You gotta make sure your computer has a gigabit ethernet connection, which most modern computers and laptops have.
Finally I record onto an Avaster Firewire HDD which has a 7200 rpm hard disk.