Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2018, 03:20 AM

Default S6 software updates no show - what are we actually paying for?

When can we expect the next S6 software update? It certainly has been a while since the last one, 9 months....

Since we are all paying a substantial amount to stay on the subscription bandwagon, I think we are entitled to have updates more often than what has been the case this last year.

Bugfixes and new features alike, for every long awaited update there is a disappointingly short list of changes. The S6 has been around long enough to be able to grow into a full featured, mature system that excels from previous ICON systems on EVERY level. But as an old ICON user, I am still waiting for features from the ICON that still are missing from the S6. Copy/paste plugin settings, instantiating every kind of insert from the desk, custom plugin parameter mapping to both knobs and faders are among the sorely missed features.

Why haven't new features like copy/paste aux send values been integrated? The ICON workflow of copying values between plugins could easily be ported into the S6 workflow. And so many of the great requests from other members of the forum have still yet to be implemented. Why is this taking so long, Avid?

Last, but certainly not least, the almost unusable parameter mapping of plugins coming from many of the 3rd party companies. Almost every plugin that falls outside the preprogrammed 5 band EQ or basic dynamics functions, have severely illogical parameter layouts. I know that Avid has put the blame on the 3rd party developers not to implement a decent mapping for the S6. That may be so, and for that matter another issue that should be addressed - closer and better cooperation with other companies. But from Avid´s part I think there should be an option for every user to make parameter maps on the knob modules for themselves and to store them within the preferences file in the S6 for later use. Mapping of the faders is only half way there, and limits the number of parameters.

So, please Avid, give us something that actually makes both the big investment and the yearly subscription worth while!

Regards, Javed Kurd
Oslo, Norway.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:46 PM

Default Re: S6 software updates no show - what are we actually paying for?

+1

Really hope they get their act together and realease some major updates soon!
Custom plugin mapping is no 1 feature missing for me.

And PT 18.12 didn’t exactly blow anyone’s socks of either.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:04 AM

Default Re: S6 software updates no show - what are we actually paying for?

I agree, it's been 9 months now, and we pay for a subscription

A few weeks ago I ran into a good old D-Command, and when I looked at it I realized I actually missed it.

I have been thinking of selling my S6, and get a D-Command again. I don't know if I'll do it, but the good ole ICON's have some features I'm missing, and they don't cost an anual fee to use.