Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2000, 12:01 AM

Default Digi not answering emailed questions on Platinum G3\'s and Cubase usage with digi001

I've emailed Digi twice with questions about Older G3's and Digi001. I noticed some of you in this forum are reporting good luck with Platinum G3's and Digi001. How serious is this warning about " Fatal Errors " on these systems using Digi001? Does this hardware work with Cubase VST 24? I have this app and a good selection of VST plug ins already. I like working with Cubase and was planning a audio hardware puchase when Digi001 was announced. I have stalled my purchase waiting on Digi's response to my questions. I think it is bogus to have a questions link on the Digi site and not get any response. If anyone from Digidesign reads this, I'm not happy about the lack of response. I work in the music retail industry and I think this is lousy customer service. Maybe I can talk to someone at NAMM about my questions. Good day to all who read this. Peace.
Old 01-17-2000, 10:16 AM
Avid

Default Re: Digi not answering emailed questions on Platinum G3\'s and Cubase usage with digi001

longToPlay,

Here is the actual information regarding the Beige G3 and the 001. I took it from the compatibility documents because it contains the actual results from testing. Others who have a beige G3 may also be able to give your some idea as to what they are experiencing. Here it is:

During the development of the Pro Tools LE, Digidesign tested the Apple "beige" G3 line (all speeds) with Digi 001. During testing we encountered random occurrences of a particular software error with our DAE (Digidesign Audio Engine) and the beige G3 line. The error, "DAE -6045" would pop-up inexplicably during normal operation of Pro Tools LE. While this error is non-fatal, it will stop playback or record of a Pro Tools LE system. Digidesign engineering spent weeks trying to find the cause of this error without a successful fix.
There is some good news - to continue through the error simply click OK. We suggest saving the session and rebooting the computer to completely clear the error. Although all other aspects of Digi 001 and beige G3 configuration function satisfactory, the repetitive nature of this error caused us concern here at Digidesign. This explains why Digidesign is not formally supporting beige G3 configurations with 001 (we still support beige G3's with Audiomedia III cards and TDM systems). We did not make this decision lightly due to the large installed base of beige G3 customers. However, here at Digidesign, we believe in shipping solid systems that our customers can count on. If after reading this notice you still wish to use a beige G3 with Digi 001, here's what results we have found with our internal and external beta testing:

• Best Case: all day, all night - no errors
• Typical: 2 or 3 errors in an eight hour day
• Worst Case: 6 or 8 errors in an eight hour day

I hope that helps clear up any questions you may have about beige g3's an the 001.
As far as using Cubase is concerned:
If Cubase currently supports direct i/o then it will work with the 001. Currently, any one who is going to use the 001 via direct i/o will need to remove the 001 OMS MIDI driver from the system folder and use an external MIDI interface. Digi is looking into a fix for this and we will keep you posted.

B Carter
Digidesign
Old 01-17-2000, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Digi not answering emailed questions on Platinum G3\'s and Cubase usage with digi001

Just curious, long2play.
I assume you asked Steinberg directly how to use their Cubase app with a Digi 001 and their plans for future development in this regard. (perhaps in the way Emagic's Logic Audio is going about it)
What was their response?
Thanks.

------------------
Bruce Paine
eMarketing

Old 01-17-2000, 10:51 AM
Avid

Hi. I don't how or by what means you've tried to contact Digi for Pre-sales or Tech-support, but I'm happy to answer your questions for you.

All the information engineering test has compiled on the Beige G3 models and their particular performance issues has been and is still posted on the Digi website : http://www.digidesign.com/compato/001beigeg3.html

It's fine to ask other users what type of results they're experiencing. I don't think it's fair of you to put the onus on Digi when this information has been available for some time in an accessible published form.

Digidesign has made the direct I/O code (for the 001 hardware) available to all developer companies. Keep in mind that some of these companies (because of their own standards they've developed) consider themselves in competition with Digi even though they "develop" software and peripherals to run on our hardware. If you have a question or concern as to why they're not running on 001
hardware or whatever, ask them. Ask us too, but definitely ask them. The internet is the greatest marketing survey ever invented. Your voice is hard to ignore especially if a hundred other people ask asking about the same thing.

One last thing. We have official channels for technical support. The users conference is not one of them, although we do monitor it
and will jump in and help when it's possible. There is also an 800 line for general product information and compatibility questions. Please take advantage of these resources. Thanks.

Tom S.

Old 01-17-2000, 10:36 PM

To Digidesign,
I emailed you via the tech support email link. I did not try to call. I am aware that you guys have a tech phone number. I do not have time during the day to make this phone call so I thought that an email might do the trick. I am however noting the no one emailed me back about my questions. That is the reason for the email link on your site is it not? I did not intend this as a major flaming of Digidesign. I just wanted you guys to be aware of it. I have read the technical info posted on your site. I have not yet contacted Steinberg about using Cubase with Digi001. I assumed ( My Mistake) that Digidesign would be aware of using Digi001 with other software ( I guess you guys talk to E Magic at least) . I am trying to make a decision and I am trying to get the info I need. I think the Dig001 is a very thought out product from its feature set, that is why I am interested in it. Since I already own Cubase ( Purchased before the Digi001 was announced at AES ) I thought you would know if it worked with the Digi001. I am sorry if this post struck you as having a bad tone. I am not " Putting the onus on Digidesign." Thank you for your replies!

Peace,
Lyle Long

[This message has been edited by long2play (edited January 18, 2000).]
Old 01-18-2000, 12:45 AM

Bruce, this is a response I received from Steinberg regarding the availability of Cubase drivers for the 001:

"The whole point of us developing and giving out the ASIO spec is so that each manufacturer can build drivers for their cards that they know will work with any ASIO application. The manufacturer is the only person who knows what's in his card, it's his responsibility to build the driver. We help out where we can if there's a problem.
My advice is simple: only buy cards that have a good solid working ASIO implementation that is kept up-to-date.

------------------
Rodney Orpheus - [email protected]
Steinberg Information Services"

It seems that we have Digi saying Steinberg is responsible for making the 001 drivers, and Steinberg saying that only Digi knows how to write drivers for their card.

Is this finger-pointing or what? It doesn't sound like we're getting a straight answer here.

Please guys, so who will develop and publish the driver that will allow Cubase to work with the 001, and when will it be available?

Will it be ASIO or Direct I/O?
(Maybe they're the same?)

------------------
Larry W.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.