Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 10-22-2009, 09:21 AM

Lightbulb Re: How do you mix Superior Drummer?

I have Ezdrummer and DFH EZx.

If I crossgrade to S2, does S2 allow for more control of the DFH EZx (multiple mics etc) or is that just a feature of specific S2 kits and expansion packs?

IOW do you get more control of DFH or the Nashville EZx (for another example) with S2 than you do with Ezdrummer? Are more options/features of the EZx's 'unlocked'?

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:01 AM

Default Re: How do you mix Superior Drummer?

Would someone be able to explain how they get the tyempo riught to the host (pt) in SD2?

Also is it possible to rename the busses inside SD2 as it's a pain remembering bus names etc for routing in PT?

Thanks - it seems like a great program.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nod25 View Post

If I crossgrade to S2, does S2 allow for more control of the DFH EZx (multiple mics etc) or is that just a feature of specific S2 kits and expansion packs?
You get much more control over the expansion kits (EZX and SDX) in the way of note mapping, ADSR for the individual samples, and the ability to use sounds from different expansion kits simultaneously.
It is well worth the money.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:38 PM

After I got Superior 2, I sold my copy of Strike, and sold BFD, and I also am now selling my copy of Battery. S2 is light years ahead of anything else.

With that said, there are millions of ways to bus and route internally and shape mic bleed internally, and even control individual drum levels independent of bleed levels per pad and even per hit variation type!!! Also millions of ways to route and bus to pro tools. Also internal Sonalksis plug-ins within S2 and wicked EQs and comps...

And the new SDX expansion packs take tons of drum genres to the next level.. and also the new Electronic drum expansion pack for EZ drummer that also works for S2 has totally replaced my other hits for things like electronica and hip hop....

Superior 2 is the absolute industry standard in drum plug-ins. It is the right choice for any serious production that is not satisfied with any acoustic kits brought into the studio and to trigger S2 via MIDI. I guarantee it will please any drum tone enthusiasts out there.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:38 AM

I work the same at first when I am working on the song : using Superior 2.0 in stereo and sometimes mixing the different elements a bit in SD 2 but then for the mix I bounce all the tracks to audio with the "bounce" feature in SD 2, and mix the drums like I would with "live recorded drums" I found it far more easy and faster then using aux outs....
Old 04-01-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
If you open the SD mixer window, you can assign all the sounds to separate tracks(by default, they are all assigned to TRACK 1). Once you assign the sounds, close the plugin and create as many stereo tracks as you need. You can use audio tracks and record, OR you can use aux tracks and treat them with plugins(just as you would do for audio tracks) without burning up audio tracks.
Hi,
i just see in my mixer mode sth like this:

but i dont have mono channels, all my outputs are out1/2 and higher. I was trying to find some button to change it for few hours, reading forums, googling etc and no succes. THats why i'm writing to you. I have sd 2.2.1

Thanks for any adivces.

When i will fix it, maybe will be able to send drums to pt aux channels :)

thanks
Old 04-01-2010, 06:56 AM

While SD outputs are stereo by default, its possible to record to mono audio tracks by how you pan within the SD mixer(as in; assign kick and snare to outputs 1&2, pan the kick left, pan the snare right, record to mono audio tracks with one using SD track 1 and the other using SD track 2). You can also record out to stereo audio tracks and then split those out to mono and delete what you don't need(yes, that's more work). I simply record to stereo tracks for the most part. Regarding the earlier reference to mixing SD with a real drummer, I have drummers play my SD tracks from a Roland kit so I get the great sounds, but played by a real drummer. Its not perfect, but its real close

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-01-2010, 07:42 AM

well, maybe i'm stupid but:
here is my sd mixer:

kick and snare and etc send to out 1-2, but should i also send it to bus?

in pt i create new audio channels and set this?

sorry for problems, but i really dont get it :)
Old 04-04-2010, 02:35 PM

if i'm understanding you correctly, you need create a MONO AUX Channel and set the input to the same output as the SD mic.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:20 PM

Albee...how do you save a custom kit? I have NY Avatar and Metal foundry; say I'm using MF. If I click the drop down on a snare, for example, I can only see the snares from MF, and not Avatar. Can you mix/match the pieces from the different expansions?