Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2011, 05:48 AM

Default Cowbell click doesn't sound like a cowbell

I'm running PT9.0.2 and using the Digi Click plugin. When I choose cowbell as the sound, it still sounds like a click. When I change to marimba, it doesn't sound like a marimba, but a different-sounding click. Similar thing happens when I use the TL Metro plugin.

I forget the instrument plugin name, but I also tried the Mini Grand Piano and that sounds like a piano. Also tried Bomb, and it also sounds like it should, so my system seems to be able to play virtual instruments fine.

I did search the forum and I understand I can just create a loop. My previous PT version was 6.4 (LE) so I'm not that familiar with loops and Beat Detective yet, so I'd like to get either Click or TL Metro to sound less annoying for now.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Cowbell click doesn't sound like a cowbell

Those sounds have been chosen and refined over the years by engineers and musicians with lots of experience at playing to clicks. Granted, they sound annoying by themselves. Granted, the cowbell sound is not the kind you'd want to use in most songs. But they work great as clicks. Sometimes you might want to roll off some highs to keep bleed to a minimum. But other than that, they're practically perfect for the job.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 AM

I'm not looking for the ultimate cowbell sound or anything, but mine doesn't sound anything like a cowbell, which makes me think something is wrong with my setup or I didn't install something.

Or are you saying these really do just sound like clicks? In that case, they shouldn't have named them cowbell or marimba or woodblocks (in TL Metro) if they all just sound like clicks anyway.

I can post mp3s of what I'm hearing if that will help.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 AM

I know exactly what you're saying. It's a common first impression. The sounds were derived from the stated instruments, but were played, recorded, and modified to be as effective as possible as clicks. No ring, no ambience, etc. Just something that can consistently cut through a dense mix without obscuring anything. You'll get something similar from a cowbell if you have someone hold the bell really tight with two hands while someone else smacks the other end with a drumstick.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-31-2011, 04:36 PM

Oh, I get it now.

Thanks for the explanation!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:48 PM

Smile Re: Cowbell click doesn't sound like a cowbell

And if Bruce Dickinson wants more cowbell, we should probably give him more cowbell!