Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2013, 12:50 PM

Default MIDI Keyboard, via Focusrite 18i20 Interface to PT 11

I have recently bought a MIDI keyboard, type AKAI MPK49.

I cant seem to get this to work in Pro-Tools 11. I can't see the device on my computer, either.

I am using a Focusrite 18i20 as my Audio Interface.

Can anyone give me specific on connecting the MIDO to the Focusrite and, where I must configure this in Pro-Tools (if you have to, given that PT11 recognises my Focusrite etc.)?

Do I need to connect both the USB lead AND the MIDI leads as I have no power to my AKAI with just the MIDI cable? If I have to plug directly into the laptop, can I not, them, do any mixing using the 18i20?
DELL 'Alienware' 18 ¦ Processor = 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4800MQ (6MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz c/w Intel Turbo Boost) ¦ Memory = 32GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz ¦ Drives = 256GB mSATA SSD Boot + 750GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s ¦ Graphics = Dual NVidia GeForce GTX 770M with 3GB GDDR5 - NVidia SLI Enabled ¦ Operating System = Windows 8 64bit
Old 11-15-2013, 12:59 PM

Default Re: MIDI Keyboard, via Focusrite 18i20 Interface to PT 11

Use the USB cable only. Select your controller using the MIDI Input Selector pull-down menu in the track:

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2092986&postcount=11

MIDI controller based inquiries would probably get a quicker answer here. How's that killer Alienware laptop you have coming along?

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Admin Emeritus

Moved to MIDI forum
Old 11-15-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Use the USB cable only. Select your controller using the MIDI Input Selector pull-down menu in the track:

MIDI controller based inquiries would probably get a quicker answer here. How's that killer Alienware laptop you have coming along?

Shane
The 'Killer Laptop' is spot on, at last. Found the issue was the nVidea graphics driver was so outdated. The damn thing is flying now, taking under 10 seconds to load Pro-Tools with all add-ons!!!
Stunning performance.

just need to get this MIDI keyboard up and running. Then my Yamaha DTX-950k drums.
DELL 'Alienware' 18 ¦ Processor = 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4800MQ (6MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz c/w Intel Turbo Boost) ¦ Memory = 32GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz ¦ Drives = 256GB mSATA SSD Boot + 750GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s ¦ Graphics = Dual NVidia GeForce GTX 770M with 3GB GDDR5 - NVidia SLI Enabled ¦ Operating System = Windows 8 64bit
Old 11-16-2013, 01:56 AM

Default Re: AKAI MPK49 MIDI Keyboard, via Focusrite 18i20 Interface to PT 11

Quote:

Shane
Unfortunately, no such luck.

Plenty of You Tube examples how to set up in Ableton, but NOTHING for Pro-Tools 11.

I am getting more and more frustrated with Pro-Tools and getting it to work with anything. I think in most cases you have to have some knowledge of it before using it - the chicken & egg situation.

AVID need to take a good look at themselves and get back to basics and help people just starting out.

There is NOTHING even on the AKAI on how to set that up either. Certainly not plug 'n' play! The display window on the MPK49 has every type of DAW - except Pro-Tools (has somebody from AVID upset someone from AKAI? !!!!).
Old 11-16-2013, 10:17 AM

Are you going to use the MPK49 as a basic controller, or are you wanting to sync it to PT and have transport control and MIDI CC etc? The latter requires a more advanced setup procedure, especially on the Akai side as you'll need to use the Vyzex editor software that comes with it. Follow this setup sequence.

After hardware setup, you'll need to create an instrument track to record(That should be a direct link to page 21). Personally, I find the step by step printed documentation gets me going faster than weeding through hours of YT vids. Keep me posted.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-16-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Are you going to use the MPK49 as a basic controller, or are you wanting to sync it to PT and have transport control and MIDI CC etc? The latter requires a more advanced setup procedure, especially on the Akai side as you'll need to use the Vyzex editor software that comes with it. Follow this setup sequence.

After hardware setup, you'll need to create an instrument track to record(That should be a direct link to page 21). Personally, I find the step by step printed documentation gets me going faster than weeding through hours of YT vids. Keep me posted.

Shane
Hi Shan!

It maybe that I haven't installed everything on Pro-Tools yet? I have only istalled the basic software programme. I think there was a few 'add-ons' like Instruments. Is this my problem?

I want to use the keyboard as a basic controller, for creating different sounds as and when I want them. Primarily, though, I bought PT to record my band and sessions etc.

I open PT11 then Track > New and create an Instrument Track (should this be Mono or Stereo for Keyboad?). But this is where I get lost. At college, we opened Instruments then you could select the type of 'Instrument' you wanted. But I'm damned if I can find it at home!!! And college has finished last Thursday so no 1 on 1 source of help :-(

I am using a USB direct to the Laptop/ProTools now. I am not sure if I have it on the correct inputs or outputs for that matter.

Thanks for those links, I will check them out tomorrow. Its 18:45hrs here in UK and I'm off out to the pub in 30 minutes. I have been drumming most of the afternoon and knackered!!!
Old 11-16-2013, 11:04 AM

Hey

I know Shane is on this but just wanted to ask if you have installed the AIR Virtual Instrument Installer called
"Air Creative Collection Installer" as there is atleast 5-6 instruments like BOOM - Structure Free - Vacuum - DB33 - XPand2! And I believe a few of the plugins from AIR will install too. The file size is around 2.6-2.8GB and if you have not installed that for PT11 and only for PT10 you will find this installer in your Avid account. Then you can open up an Instrument Track and choose what instrument you wanna play from your midi keyboard.

Sorry if this is already done, just thought I'd put it here if not

The instruments you have or will purchase later on will also reside under "Instruments" on an Instrument track.

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-16-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hey

I know Shane is on this but just wanted to ask if you have installed the AIR Virtual Instrument Installer called
"Air Creative Collection Installer" as there is atleast 5-6 instruments like BOOM - Structure Free - Vacuum - DB33 - XPand2! And I believe a few of the plugins from AIR will install too. The file size is around 2.6-2.8GB and if you have not installed that for PT11 and only for PT10 you will find this installer in your Avid account. Then you can open up an Instrument Track and choose what instrument you wanna play from your midi keyboard.

Sorry if this is already done, just thought I'd put it here if not

The instruments you have or will purchase later on will also reside under "Instruments" on an Instrument track.

Best Regards
Christopher
Hi Chris....

No, you are right! this is what I was intimating on my message to Shane in that I haven't installed everything that I should be doing. I hare really only just got the 'basic' installer programme installed. I will look at this tomorrow.

Else, I still need to figure out the I/O as I am not sure Pro-Tools is seeing the MIDI Controller and/or I have the correct I/O configured.

Moreover, do I need to do any 'work' on the AKAI MDK49 to make it 'talk' to Pro-Tools 11 ? I am concerned that on initial viewing, the window/display on the AKAI does NOT have Pro-Tools in the options as you scroll through (but all other DAWs seem listed :-(

Thanx for your help!

Mark
Old 11-16-2013, 12:19 PM

Hi

The i/o doesn't have anything to do with midi keyboard setup.

I would plug it in, set up a instrument track after download of the instrument collection and record arm the track, set the input on the track to "all" and go.

I wouldn't worry so much

We have Akai Synthstation 49 Mk2 and we just plugged it in and worked in both 10HD and 11HD. No hassle with any setting up midi stuff.

Try first and post back if you encounter any problem with it.

Best
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————