Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-27-2017, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Curious: How many of you are letting your license ride..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
It is $999 , not $899 to reinstate a HD license ...

See here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/pr...upgrade-chart/
It's still $998 too high. $999 to get from HD9 to HD10, it doesn't even wear me out anymore, just kinda numb from it.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:00 AM

12.4 was really starting to get it right as far as stability in my opinion. Then what happened with 12.5? Cloud Collaboration. Enter major instability. I have thought for quite awhile now in hindsight that if Avid would have stayed on the straight path and not diverted down the collaboration path Protools would be much more stable today and most likely even with new features that would not have broken the software to where it is today. Some of those resources could have also gone into making the video more stable. I really believe the software could have been in a much better state. I understand it was a business decision but can't help but think how much better it could have been if they would have stayed the course they were on.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioman1973 View Post
. I have thought for quite awhile now in hindsight that if Avid would have stayed on the straight path and not diverted down the collaboration path Protools would be much more stable today and most likely even with new features that would not have broken the software to where it is today. Some of those resources could have also gone into making the video more stable. I really believe the software could have been in a much better state. I understand it was a business decision but can't help but think how much better it could have been if they would have stayed the course they were on.

Heck make it a preference....or a side program......

it sounds like most people don't use it anyway.

Would be very interesting to see the number of users on a monthly basis that Avid has utilizing cloud collaboration
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:02 AM

I'd say very few of us are using the Cloud from Avid. They do provide uninstallers for both the cloud services and the Avid App. And I use them both. It seems to help with stability.

Steve
Old 03-27-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Starting with PT9 which is generally speaking "PT8 with ability to use 3r party interfaces". So that's one thing that takes stability out of your control and we know that. Again with PT10 which is the bridge release between RTAS/TDM old world and AAX new world. They opened the infamous can of worms by allowing two (or three) very different plugin architectures to work together. Then there was PT11 which in my opinion came too fast, they were not ready. And PT12 is just PT11 with another version number.
True, but I don't know if that's a great excuse. Almost every other DAW is capable of running 3rd party interfaces as well as multiple plugin platforms (AU, VST, VST3, etc).

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 03-27-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
I'd say very few of us are using the Cloud from Avid. They do provide uninstallers for both the cloud services and the Avid App. And I use them both. It seems to help with stability.

Steve
The uninstallers, do we have to ask avid for them?
Old 03-27-2017, 10:54 AM

There is every reason to believe what you say is true. The collaboration feature had to require changes to every part of the software, and it is a given that those changes have contributed to the current instability. Add to that the two years or so spent developing the feature, and it becomes apparent what a terrible decision it was.

Quote:
12.4 was really starting to get it right as far as stability in my opinion. Then what happened with 12.5? Cloud Collaboration. Enter major instability. I have thought for quite awhile now in hindsight that if Avid would have stayed on the straight path and not diverted down the collaboration path Protools would be much more stable today and most likely even with new features that would not have broken the software to where it is today. Some of those resources could have also gone into making the video more stable. I really believe the software could have been in a much better state. I understand it was a business decision but can't help but think how much better it could have been if they would have stayed the course they were on.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
My HD perpetual license expert plus plan expires at the end of this month. No more for me. I didn't get $399. worth last year and had I known it would be no better than it is today I wouldn't have wasted that money. Staying on 12.4 where I was when I spent the last $399. I have seen nothing in the last year to make me believe it is going to get better and justify giving Avid more money.
This is where I'm at, and I'm convinced that I should stay and NOT pull the trigger on the plan renewal, which is due in 9 days for me...

From my AVID plan renewal email notice, these are the reasons:

Quote:
But did you know your plan will expire in 15 days? If you don’t renew, you will lose access to…
Quote:
All of the exciting new Pro Tools features coming in the months ahead
I don't believe you.

Quote:
The Pro Series, Space, Eleven MK II, ReVibe II, and other bonus plug-ins
I don't own or plan to use these because of the way they are tied into the leasing scheme.

Quote:
Priority help and ExpertPlus support for you and your Pro Tools | HD system
I have never used it.

So, I can be added to the ranks that have thrown in the towel for PTHD and will use what I have in place, until I don't any longer.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:35 AM

My sub expires this Friday. I have the 'just in case' attitude so I will resubscribe. Plus I do mostly mixing/mastering, not much tracking and midi these days and I have very few issues for the way I use it.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 03-27-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
True, but I don't know if that's a great excuse. Almost every other DAW is capable of running 3rd party interfaces as well as multiple plugin platforms (AU, VST, VST3, etc).
That was new to me. Name one daw that can handle AU and another platform. Not starting a flame war here, just being curious...