Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2017, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Interesting 12.6.1 bug - stereo tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
the bug IS a drag, tho so far it's not affected me. and apparently it's not hugely widespread, or more would be affected.

that said, I am very surprised you would send a client a bounce without listening to it all the way through.
Since you feel entitled to chastise me I'll let you know that I would never send a client a final mix from an offline bounce. It was a rough at the end of a session. To be clear, the resulting bounce is not really the problem. The fact that the timeline of the session from which the bounce was made was left scrambled as a result of employing the offline bounce feature is a BIG problem as far as I'm concerned. I can easily re-do the bounce but having to rebuild the session could potentially be very problematic. Luckily in this instance the session was simple and I had another session from which I could import session data. I didn't even mention the fact that Pro Tools removed a large part of the audio completely from the session.

I'm very experienced and I know how to prevent disasters but there are plenty of people who don't and Avid shouldn't put any of us in this position. It's nerve wracking knowing that something crazy might happen if I let my guard down. Pro Tools didn't use to feel this way. That's the point I'm trying to make.
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 03-26-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingtiger View Post
Since you feel entitled to chastise me I'll let you know that I would never send a client a final mix from an offline bounce. It was a rough at the end of a session. To be clear, the resulting bounce is not really the problem. The fact that the timeline of the session from which the bounce was made was left scrambled as a result of employing the offline bounce feature is a BIG problem as far as I'm concerned. I can easily re-do the bounce but having to rebuild the session could potentially be very problematic. Luckily in this instance the session was simple and I had another session from which I could import session data. I didn't even mention the fact that Pro Tools removed a large part of the audio completely from the session.

I'm very experienced and I know how to prevent disasters but there are plenty of people who don't and Avid shouldn't put any of us in this position. It's nerve wracking knowing that something crazy might happen if I let my guard down. Pro Tools didn't use to feel this way. That's the point I'm trying to make.
I remember people use to say bounce to disk was the same as bounce into protools. There was argument all day long about it. Some people even performed null tests and it was close but not identical on some tests. I think it was some efx didn't bounce the same or something. Reverbs etc.... I never trusted that protools can do a bounce to disk error free 100% of the time. So I had to listen to any bounced to disk mixes. So monitoring realtime bouncing into protools made it faster. Now we have faster than realtime render and I still don't trust it. Proven by your situation.

They need to fix this.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
I am very surprised you would send a client a bounce without listening to it all the way through.
Nobody does that, you absolutely always listen to what you send and when you send you put in your personal approval that the deliveries are good.

Otherwise the client doesn't return, should there be a problem.

Sometines it's a pita to do QA but I have never slipped from that, even though sometimes the final wav would be closer to an hour.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
I remember people use to say bounce to disk was the same as bounce into protools. There was argument all day long about it. Some people even performed null tests and it was close but not identical on some tests. I think it was some efx didn't bounce the same or something. Reverbs etc.... I never trusted that protools can do a bounce to disk error free 100% of the time. So I had to listen to any bounced to disk mixes. So monitoring realtime bouncing into protools made it faster. Now we have faster than realtime render and I still don't trust it. Proven by your situation.

They need to fix this.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Oh yeah, anything remotely crucial gets bounced in real time and I monitor intently.

Like I say, it's not the resulting bounce that concerns me so much. It's opening the session the next day and seeing audio removed from the session and replaced with other audio completely rearranged on the timeline. That's unnerving! It's the uneasiness of all this that I find difficult. There's always been problems that have come up with Pro Tools but I've never had this kind of uneasy feeling before. It makes me wonder what might be happening that I haven't noticed yet.
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 03-26-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Nobody does that, you absolutely always listen to what you send and when you send you put in your personal approval that the deliveries are good.

Otherwise the client doesn't return, should there be a problem.

Sometines it's a pita to do QA but I have never slipped from that, even though sometimes the final wav would be closer to an hour.
In my world there are plenty of reasons to bounce offline without QC. For example, working on a tv theme when the editor and producer are in the editing bay and they need examples of different edits so they can make decisions. Working with musicians in different cities who are waiting on a rough so they can cut their part and send it in. Making roughs at the end of a tracking day so that time is used for recording rather than listening to something the world will never hear anyway...

These reasons and others are why offline bounce would be a great feature if it worked properly. For me offline bouncing is for work flow and real time bouncing is for quality and posterity. There are appropriate times for both.
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 03-26-2017, 09:47 AM

sorry to pile on, but this is another reason why we REFUSE to leave PT 10 Snow leopard...none of these versions since can be totally trusted....this bounce thing is now like the audio blast issue/video engine/bla bla bla real show stoppers.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
In my world there are plenty of reasons to bounce offline without QC. For example, working on a tv theme when the editor and producer are in the editing bay and they need examples of different edits so they can make decisions. Working with musicians in different cities who are waiting on a rough so they can cut their part and send it in. Making roughs at the end of a tracking day so that time is used for recording rather than listening to something the world will never hear anyway...

These reasons and others are why offline bounce would be a great feature if it worked properly. For me offline bouncing is for work flow and real time bouncing is for quality and posterity. There are appropriate times for both.
You perfectly explained why offline bounce is a good thing, but I was saying that a FINAL delivery that goes out of the door should always be listened to in real time.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
You perfectly explained why offline bounce is a good thing, but I was saying that a FINAL delivery that goes out of the door should always be listened to in real time.
Apparently I misunderstood your post. Glad we're in agreement!
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 03-26-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
it's not the resulting bounce that concerns me so much. It's opening the session the next day and seeing audio removed from the session
I've seen that too on PT12.x but have been unable to create steps how to reproduce the issue. Only thing I can think of is whenever PT "unexpectedly quits" these things might happen
Old 03-26-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I've seen that too on PT12.x but have been unable to create steps how to reproduce the issue. Only thing I can think of is whenever PT "unexpectedly quits" these things might happen
In my recent example Pro Tools didn't crash. Everything appeared completely normal. That's part of why it's so unnerving.
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek