Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2016, 08:37 PM

Default Interesting 12.6.1 bug - stereo tracks

While mixing today I ran across a totally new issue that I've never had.

Recording my stereo mix back into Pro Tools from tape. Monitored while recording back in, sounded and looked fine. Went to play it back after recording finished and it was in mono, both side were identical.

Restarted Pro Tools and that seemed to resolve the issue, but it did come back a few times. Drove me nuts.

Anyone else run into this issue?

I'm on Win 7.

Mark
Sharktankpro.com
Old 12-05-2016, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Interesting 12.6.1 bug - stereo tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by biasrocks View Post
While mixing today I ran across a totally new issue that I've never had.

Recording my stereo mix back into Pro Tools from tape. Monitored while recording back in, sounded and looked fine. Went to play it back after recording finished and it was in mono, both side were identical.

Restarted Pro Tools and that seemed to resolve the issue, but it did come back a few times. Drove me nuts.

Anyone else run into this issue?

I'm on Win 7.

Mark
Sharktankpro.com
I get this occasionally as well. Next time just deactivate/reactivate the track and it'll come back, no need to restart PT. Haven't been able to pin down a repeatable way to make it happen yet.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:12 AM

What is TRULY terrifying about bugs like these, and many others we've been finding lately, where PT will simply stop following a pan, or just not output certain tracks, or mistakenly re-order the output of a 5.1 track, say all to the left...

What is terrifying, is that the basic CORE of ProTools is broken, if these are possible to happen. When we're working with a thousand tracks on a film, when something like this happens, we may not notice it. If the person above hadn't been paying attention, maybe they would have shipped to a client a dual-mono mix instead of stereo.

That these are now happening in PT11 and PT12 ought to scare the hell out of us. A crash is one thing. But these random screw-ups with the core of what PT or any DAW does, is truly awful.

And Avid seems to have NO clue as why they are happening. And we've been telling them about it for MANY versions of PT now, and they seem no closer to being able to fix it. How can this even BE?
Old 12-06-2016, 01:36 AM

These kind of bugs are the worst possible. Another ghost bug I have witnessed is random audio cuts (playback). Suddenly audio track starts to have silent moments with no reason. Deactivate/reactivate track doesn't help, only restarting PT helps. This affects both bounce and playback, but it's very rare. It happens only when you have been working for several hours without restarting PT.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:33 PM

Yes, a bug like this would make film/TV postproduction impossible with Pro Tools.
An error discovered down the line would cost a lot of money to repair. I have seen it happen where a small error in a stem can cause an M&E to get rejected a week or two later when the crew is on to a new project, or out of the country....
Old 03-26-2017, 05:57 AM

Same problem here with my HDX and PT HD 12.6

MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) i7 2.3GHz macOS 10.15.7
Pro Tools 2021.12
Apogee Duet
Old 03-26-2017, 06:31 AM

I haven't seen this here, but now you got me worried
Old 03-26-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
What is TRULY terrifying about bugs like these, and many others we've been finding lately, where PT will simply stop following a pan, or just not output certain tracks, or mistakenly re-order the output of a 5.1 track, say all to the left...

What is terrifying, is that the basic CORE of ProTools is broken, if these are possible to happen. When we're working with a thousand tracks on a film, when something like this happens, we may not notice it. If the person above hadn't been paying attention, maybe they would have shipped to a client a dual-mono mix instead of stereo.

That these are now happening in PT11 and PT12 ought to scare the hell out of us. A crash is one thing. But these random screw-ups with the core of what PT or any DAW does, is truly awful.

And Avid seems to have NO clue as why they are happening. And we've been telling them about it for MANY versions of PT now, and they seem no closer to being able to fix it. How can this even BE?
This. It is so maddening to no longer be able to count on Pro Tools' core functionality. In another thread I outlined how a client recently called me the day after a session to alert me to an insane offline bounce that I had inadvertently given him where the audio had been bizarrely scrambled on the timeline. Not only was the bounce garbage but the audio on the timeline in the session was affected. This is just one of a handful of these types of instances on top of endless 9xxx errors and all sorts of interface glitches.

It's sad but after 20 years of Pro Tools I'm looking around for another DAW. I would rather stick with PT but I can't afford to take the inherent risks with clients. Despite being completely fiendish with backups and redundancies I'm constantly paranoid now as to what I'm going to find when I open up sessions each day. Yes, these sorts of things are rare but they should never be happening at all.
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 03-26-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingtiger View Post
=In another thread I outlined how a client recently called me the day after a session to alert me to an insane offline bounce that I had inadvertently given him where the audio had been bizarrely scrambled on the timeline. Not only was the bounce garbage but the audio on the timeline in the session was affected.
the bug IS a drag, tho so far it's not affected me. and apparently it's not hugely widespread, or more would be affected.

that said, I am very surprised you would send a client a bounce without listening to it all the way through.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 03-26-2017, 08:22 AM

I always bounce into protools and monitor real-time. I never trusted bounce to disk or now offline bounce. But I'm making records so each song is only 3 minutes long. And commercials are 30 seconds so that's not a big deal. For people who score films I can see monitoring all the stems in realtime can be troublesome.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk