Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-06-2005, 08:56 AM

Default Field Recording Setup

I need some suggestions on putting together a rig to do field recording for video. I have a long list of questions please feel free to respond to one or all. Thanks

1. What equipment is needed to put togehter a nice rig for field recording for video.

2. Can a ProTools LE Rig work? 002 or MBox

3. What about time code? SMPTE How Do I Sync Audio with Video?

4. I need suggestionson on mics (Boom and wireless).

5. How do I setup for post production? Do I need the AV option to do Post. I have a HD System in my main studio.

Any help is welcomed and appreciated.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Field Recording Setup

here's a few suggestions..
Quote:
yes. but you'll need to figure out the TC thing. also look into metacorder by gallery. metacorder
Quote:
for stereo, a sure VP88 is used by a lot of vide people. can't really go wrong with a sen 416, or a neuman kmr 81. the 416 may be more durable, though.
Quote:
5. How do I setup for post production? Do I need the AV option to do Post. I have a HD System in my main studio.
the AV option won't be supported with OSX. you'll have to get mojo. or consider a video card from aurora or black magic. then you need an ntsc monitor (or second computer monitor..) get digitranslator for converting omf's
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 05-06-2005, 02:23 PM

Hello. Let me take a stab at this.
Quote:
1. What equipment is needed to put togehter a nice rig for field recording for video.
Well if we are talking about the same thing, and you mean strictly field recording, NOT location audio for picture, then you have many options. There is always a portable DAT machine, MiniDisc machine, DVD recorder, etc but I would recommend against it. Skip the tape or disc transfers. You can find many hard disk recoders like Aaton, Nagra, Zaxcom and Sound Devices. The HHB Portadrive records to a hard disk and can also record to a 'Pro Tools V5' session. The audio will open up inside a Pro Tools session timeline.

You can indeed also record to a laptop. An Mbox is easiest for Pro Tools. You don't have to use Pro Tools, so for example you could use a laptop, an Echo Indigo I/O card, a portbale mic pre and whatever software you please. Also MOTU recently released Traveler for these types of purposes.

I also have used Core Sound. Along with a handheld mic pre that they offer, it can't be beat for handheld recording. Now that's portable. It can record 24/48 , even 24/96. It uses Flash memory. It works.

However if you will be recording audio for picture on location, a SMPTE solution is necessary. This changes everything.
Quote:
Yes. I use my Mbox and laptop all the time for these purposes, field recording and location audio. I have also used my laptop with the Echo Indigo card and other software.
Quote:
Well if it was just field recording, for example a recording of a dog barking in the yard, you just import the file and drop it in the appropriate place. If it's location audio, that's why you would need something that's capable of reading SMPTE on location so that it can lock to the camera as it is shooting and spitting out SMPTE. Later you just match the appropriate time code with both video and audio. For this an LE system would need the DV Toolkit for the time code functionalities, both on location and in the studio. And as I said there is no law that says you must use Pro Tools so any other software will have SMPTE included.
Quote:
Well some have been mentioned already. DPA, Schoeps, Zaxcom and Countryman make excellent microphones, but they are pricey. There are even multichannel microphones (5 or more discrete sources). When it comes down to it, any microphone can be used. You will need a windscreen. Rycote makes those fuzzy windscreens you have probably seen before. DPA just unveiled something called the Windpac. Check it out. It looks like a no brainer to me, fantastic, I saw it at NAB.
Quote:
Well this is an entirely different subject really. We need to define what you are aiming to do. Field recording is literally just that, recording audio outside. It can be done quite simply, affordably and practically. Location audio requires the aforementioned SMPTE aspect. You also have to contend with a myriad of variables. Are there boom mics? Lavs? How many mics? Are you mixing or just recording? There is a large amount of noise sources that will compete with the intelligibilty and clarity of your audio. Directors and producers more often than not give audio the least importance in the totem pole, and leave the audio professionals to work much harder than they should to achieve an acceptable product. Post production inside a studio is a completely different animal. Is it editing? ADR? Music editing? Mixing? All of the above? TV? Video? Films?

Check out this previous thread. It has a lot of information. One of my favorites is that Wave Box link I put there. I have never used it but it looks killer.

Field Recording Kits.

Good Luck.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:09 PM

Quote:

1. What equipment is needed to put together a nice rig for field recording for video.

What I have done lately is (what the Dir wants) is to mix audio into camera(s) with a dat or PT back up. If I am on a sound stage or location with power I use a Mackie 1202 to route. If you are outside or remote w/out power and need to be over-the-shoulder, Sound Devices makes great portable mixers. You will also need to get or make a good snake to send and receive audio to and from camera. one good source another good source

Quote:

Yes but would be cumbersome if you go over-the-shoulder or are booming and mixing simultaneously.

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If you are working with film, then I'd go with something like a PD4 or if you have the $ a Diva or HHB Porta Drive. What I have done lately is in the camera (Sony HD F900 and Panasonic DVX100A) and is locked on capture. But you should know what you will need to sync and when and how to do it. Ambient has some cool stuff Good resource here too.

Quote:
4. I need suggestion on mics (Boom and wireless).

If you are just starting out I'd get a Senn MKH416 and a good boom. Rent the Lavs when you need them.

Quote:

It depends on how you will be getting the post from the editor. OMF? Then DigiTranslator. You can view QT simply within PT or as little as a Canopus ADVC-100.

Quote:

Any help is welcomed and appreciated.
hth