Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2013, 02:22 AM

Default S3L WIN7/8 Compatibility?

No Windows-based computers are supported for use with S3L Systems at this time, can anyone shed us some light on when support for Windows based users is coming?
It would be nice to know when to order a system without getting forced to jump on the Mac wagon...

Thx
Old 11-14-2013, 12:57 PM

Default Re: S3L WIN7/8 Compatibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nish View Post
No Windows-based computers are supported for use with S3L Systems at this time, can anyone shed us some light on when support for Windows based users is coming?
It would be nice to know when to order a system without getting forced to jump on the Mac wagon...

Thx
You better get that mac now. The AVB drivers used for recording from S3L are built into OSX, not provided by Avid. Mac's want to do music I have built a mac mini into my S3L case and have KVM switch in there too to select either to control S3L or Mac. I'm very happy I did it that way, no hassle or worrying if my laptop would fall or get stolen and it's always there for recording and virtual soundcheck. Here is the thread where you can see how I did it: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=346039
Old 11-29-2013, 06:07 AM

Hey thanks for the reply, Mac Mini is indeed something to consider as looks like not a lot of people are waiting for S3L to be compatible with windows based systems and assuming it's not on the Avid priority list.
Although I thought it was as it's supposed to be a studio control surface as well in the near future. Cheers
Old 11-29-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nish View Post
Hey thanks for the reply, Mac Mini is indeed something to consider as looks like not a lot of people are waiting for S3L to be compatible with windows based systems and assuming it's not on the Avid priority list.
Although I thought it was as it's supposed to be a studio control surface as well in the near future. Cheers
It's Apple's drivers they use for audio not Avid's. AVB connectivity is built into OSX.
In studio, the S3 surface will be EuCon controller and EuCon works perfectly well on Mac and PC, but on the Mac side you get the audio I/O connectivity of S3 as well.

Windows might include AVB drivers too one day, but Mac does it now. So it's up to anyone to either hope and wait or get something that works today. For me it was a no-brainer to stick a mini in the case, considering it added like 6% to the overall cost of the system to get a permanent 64 track recorder-playback device with the system at all times.