Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-22-2011, 06:22 AM

Default Syncing Pro Tools to Fostex R8

Hi

I'm trying to sync my Fostex R8 to Pro Tools using the MOTU 828Mk3.

I'm slowly getting to grips with it but a possible problem I've found is that the R8 runs at 15ips and the SMPTE generator in the MOTU software only allows rates between 24 and 30 fps.

Are ips and fps the same?

Can I record the 15ips SMPTE to the R8 from a time code generated from Pro Tools and sync up that way?

Thanks
Martin
Old 11-22-2011, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Syncing Pro Tools to Fostex R8

I cant tell you how to do it. But what I can say is that the R8 is awesome. I had one back in 95 and I hate I let it go. I hope to get another one one day. Please keep us posted!
Old 11-22-2011, 07:47 AM

What sort of ports are on the back of the R8? Does it have a TC track? If not, it'll become a 7 track.

Who do you want to be master? For PT to be master, the Fostex will have to have the ability to servo its motor to stay in sync. If you want the Fostex to be master, you'll need an Avid Sync I/O so protools can very its sample rate to stay in sync. Either way, it's gonna be a bit of a hassle.

What are your plans? It's not as if the R8 was the pinnacle of analog sound. I had a Model 80 and it was a POS compared to a "real" analog machine.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_cohen View Post
Hi

I'm trying to sync my Fostex R8 to Pro Tools using the MOTU 828Mk3.

I'm slowly getting to grips with it but a possible problem I've found is that the R8 runs at 15ips and the SMPTE generator in the MOTU software only allows rates between 24 and 30 fps.

Are ips and fps the same?

Can I record the 15ips SMPTE to the R8 from a time code generated from Pro Tools and sync up that way?

Thanks
Martin
The speed of the machine - IPS - has nothing to do with the rate of the TC.
If it's a music only session, the TC rate is usually 30 but can be anything you want. If you're working w/video, you need to match the rate of the picture.

A Sync I/O is NOT needed, and I would recommend having the R8 be the master, PT the slave (even if the R8 has a synchronizer built-in)
I believe any input on the MOTU box can read LTC SMPTE and translate it to MTC.
PT will then lock to the MTC (I can't help you on the specifics of the routing as I don't have any MOTU hardware)

But as dmazurek points out - What are your plans?
If you have existing tracks on the R to R, why not just transfer then into 8 tracks of a PT session?

kasper
Old 11-22-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
The speed of the machine - IPS - has nothing to do with the rate of the TC.
If it's a music only session, the TC rate is usually 30 but can be anything you want. If you're working w/video, you need to match the rate of the picture.

A Sync I/O is NOT needed, and I would recommend having the R8 be the master, PT the slave (even if the R8 has a synchronizer built-in)
I believe any input on the MOTU box can read LTC SMPTE and translate it to MTC.
PT will then lock to the MTC (I can't help you on the specifics of the routing as I don't have any MOTU hardware)

But as dmazurek points out - What are your plans?
If you have existing tracks on the R to R, why not just transfer then into 8 tracks of a PT session?

kasper
Without a Sync I/O, all you will get is lock and release. PT will not be resolving itself to the speed of the R8. This might be ok for some things, but I suspect you'll notice drift after a few minutes.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
Without a Sync I/O, all you will get is lock and release. PT will not be resolving itself to the speed of the R8. This might be ok for some things, but I suspect you'll notice drift after a few minutes.
In theory you are correct, but what is the drift in relation to?
The tracks on the tape are always in-sync with themselves.
Unless the R8 has a crystal based resolver (which I highly doubt) it's always playing back at a slightly different speed anyway. But that only matters if you need to re-sync with the R8 in reference to itself.

And the Sync I/O has no "special powers" that keeps PT in sync. Any synchronizer that can vary the sample rate based on the incoming TC will do the same thing.
But I only see that as relevant when dealing with multiple digital machines locked VIA wordclock, no? Once the tracks are in PT, they are always going to be in-sync.

Am I missing something ...... ?

kasper
Old 11-22-2011, 08:46 AM

I am assuming he's going to have tracks going back and forth from R8 to PT to add color. If you've got more than 7 drum tracks (pretty likely IMO) then you can't expect to run them back and forth and there not be issues with phase relationships etc.

All this depends of course on what he's wanting to do.

What other Synchronizer works with PT and resolves it to incoming TC, word, or blackburst?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:48 AM

Honestly, I wouldnt try to sync PT to it, not worth the hassle. I would go out from my interface (if you have 8 outs) into the R8, then back out in and line everything up in PT through editing.

And I have to disagree about the R8 being a POS. You can still get some good tape saturation out of it.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_cohen View Post
I'm trying to sync my Fostex R8 to Pro Tools...
Why? What are you trying to achieve? Why not just record the R8's tracks into PTools and then overdub/edit/mix?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 11-22-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
I am assuming he's going to have tracks going back and forth from R8 to PT to add color. If you've got more than 7 drum tracks (pretty likely IMO) then you can't expect to run them back and forth and there not be issues with phase relationships etc.

All this depends of course on what he's wanting to do.

What other Synchronizer works with PT and resolves it to incoming TC, word, or blackburst?
Of course, in a perfect world, you are right. It is the "proper" way to do it. But there again, only if you need to be in-sync and phase alignment with the same tracks. (itself) Since the R8 only has 8 tracks, once those tracks are in PT, any subsequent performance would be in relation to PT playback speed.
Now if he's going to capture additional tracks on the R8 running "in-sync" with PT, and then x-fered back to PT, then he's got an issue - and yes, PT should slave it's WC to the tape machine.

Anyway ..... getting a bit far off from the OP but the MOTU timepieces will resolve to black, LTC/VITC and spit out MTC and WC. Rosendahl makes a box, Lynx TimeLine .... there were some more, but probably not around anymore (tape is virtually dead)

kasper