Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2016, 06:19 PM

Default Re: 12.6 My Verdict is Not Ready for Prime Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Aha .. got it. We don't do much of that so maybe we haven't run across that yet as you said. I do know it's wonky at times and we had a helluva time in earlier 12 HD versions where we were editing midi drum VI tracks for hours wondering why nothing worked with drums via roland e-drums and XLN but after 12.4 and up we haven't seen that latency issue until 12.5 when it came back for us and now it is gone in 12.6 so far ... but who knows with these things, may come back again.

Thanks for chiming in and for your input
Here's a test you can do to confirm it on your system or not. If you pencil your performance in, then it wont be an issue. If you perform your stuff on controllers and have this issue, then 12.6 is a no go. This has been an on/off MIDI plague in PT for years.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-02-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Here's a test you can do to confirm it on your system or not. If you pencil your performance in, then it wont be an issue. If you perform your stuff on controllers and have this issue, then 12.6 is a no go. This has been an on/off MIDI plague in PT for years.

Shane
Thanks Shane. I will definitely try that in the morning, it's 03:20 am here and i can't even see the iPad keyboard clearly but I am trying that out tomorrow and report back. Thank you for setting up that test soo detsiled

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-02-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
12.6 has broken MIDI timing that makes it completely unusable. For those who use MIDI, stick with an older release.

Shane
Midi timing has always been very bad in Pro Tools, NI, Ivory, Trillian, Superior all float like crazy in PT. The whole Midi Time Stamping thing simply has never worked in PT. Still have to rely on Logic to convert midi to audio and it's coming up on 2017. I fail to see how Logic is able to have Midi Tracks that do not float and Avid can't seem to get it right.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:09 PM

i would love to try it out but i am NOT about to activate a 30 day subscription license to do so! get people their REAL licenses please

KNOT HARDLY PRODUCTIONS LLP*
Knot Hardly Esquire
Farcebook Twatter

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Window$10 FX4300 MSI970A-G46 16Gb AMD7870

*a Limited Liability Persona
Old 10-02-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Performing better than 12.5 here.
So far running smooth here. Fresh clean install on Yosemite.

Mac Studio Max M2 (2023), 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.4, PT Ultimate 2023.12.1, Sonnet TB2 III-D, Avid HDX 2, Sync X, MTRX Studio, Trinnov D-Mon, JBL 708P, 705P & JBL 3635 (Atmos HE 7.1.4)
Old 10-02-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothardly View Post
... get people their REAL licenses please
The temp licenses are "real" licenses (same as the full/normal) but there has been something serious at Avid and they are doing their best to fix it.

After all they are just people like you and me and God knows I have screwed up more than once in my life. So we all know that Avid will make good on this even of it takes a week or so, hence temp licenses so people can continue to work unobstructed.

I know how this feels as it happend with the PT12 reslease aswell and the EDU license releases and with the PT10 / PT10+CPTK to PT11/11HD and i am sure it will happen again And Avid made good on all those problems and they will do good again here.

Lets give those people like us who are doing their best to fix this a little consideration as we will get all our licenses in due time. This is after all a User forum and few Avid people see these threads and those who do see it are working around the clock and weekends to help us keep our systems running.

For those who haven't got their licenses yet please start a free support case from your Avid account and they will sort you out pretty quick

I am not an Avid appologist, just know that humans are flawed and things happen when people and computers are involved I am in total understanding with all you guys as a user myself and not a "Mod" here so I feel the same frustration everyone else feels but there are ways to keep your systems running until this is fixed so lets use those until we have our licenses deposited.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-03-2016, 08:20 AM

I run an early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 OS X 10.11.6.

Pro Tools 12.6 was supposed to be ready for OS X 10.11.6 but I've got nothing out of it but fail logs ever since it's been installed.

It will not boot past the splash screen. It crashes reading core audio plugs.

I got the new license and surrendered my old license for iLok - and my iLok software will not open either. After reverting my iLok License manager back to the previous version and back again, I got the other plugs that use iLok to work but the License Manager itself will not open.

Pro Tools 12.6 will not open. I've tried installing it multiple ways. Trashed preferences. Revoked third party plugs. Nothing works. It's dead software on my computer. I've turned to two different sources for help and I am no closer to a solution today than I was when this stuff was released. Frustrated isn't the word.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:36 AM

i have not opened a ticket but someone from avid did 'try' to fix things by sending me a temporary subscription license to my ilok. i own perpetual licenses so a temporary subscription license that only lasts 30 days is not a fix but a bandaid so i do not consider it a REAL license just a placeholder.

i will open a formal ticket if the license does not show soon

KNOT HARDLY PRODUCTIONS LLP*
Knot Hardly Esquire
Farcebook Twatter

Window$10 FX4300 MSI970A-G46 16Gb AMD7870

*a Limited Liability Persona
Old 10-03-2016, 01:16 PM

Just bringing back one of the initial topics, -9173. There is a separate thread for that but since it was brought up here anyone else seeing that?
Old 10-03-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGameEnt View Post
I run an early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 OS X 10.11.6.

Pro Tools 12.6 was supposed to be ready for OS X 10.11.6 but I've got nothing out of it but fail logs ever since it's been installed.

It will not boot past the splash screen. It crashes reading core audio plugs.

I got the new license and surrendered my old license for iLok - and my iLok software will not open either. After reverting my iLok License manager back to the previous version and back again, I got the other plugs that use iLok to work but the License Manager itself will not open.

Pro Tools 12.6 will not open. I've tried installing it multiple ways. Trashed preferences. Revoked third party plugs. Nothing works. It's dead software on my computer. I've turned to two different sources for help and I am no closer to a solution today than I was when this stuff was released. Frustrated isn't the word.
I have much the same issue. I can open it if I remove all plug-ins from the Plug-ins folder though.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com