Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 11-07-2020, 06:16 AM

Default Sharing PT Settings/Presets/Templates w/ 2+ Computers

I have 2 PT 2020 Ultimate Rigs in my studio (soon to have 3-4) and I have to keep manually copying preference settings, preset files, templates, etc.

Is there a way to keep all of these things automatically synched? Avid Cloud maybe?

Thanks
Old 11-07-2020, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Sharing PT Settings/Presets/Templates w/ 2+ Computers

Oh Dear God no. You might want to look at the issue folks have with Avid cloud anything with Pro Tools and slap yourself about the head for even having that thought. The Cloud and Avid Link crapware gets removed after any install on my systems, including over concerns about introducing unnecessary security weaknesses.

And distributed systems things like this can get so unbelievably complex to do you are unlikely to ever find a canned/general solution. How would you support syncing preferences across different versions of Pro Tools? Exactly which preferences do you want to sync? How would you sync preference files for extra components/plugins installed? When do preference files get synced... it can only happen after Pro Tools on the system you want to copy from is closed and when the others are not running either. What if you want "last updated" to be copied from all others? You may not be sure which system really has the last updated preferences... its likely possible to create deadlocks here where a system could not tell what to do. How do you handle any of this if people leave Pro Tools running when not in use? Is one system the master and setting there override the get updatated to clones or is any system updated. Can you just rely on file modify times or do you need to look at the context or a checksum to be sure something has changed? If some pref files are newer on one system do you copy all them and the older other pref files to the other systems so they are at least consistent, or are you just going to mix together the latest of the pref files you find on any system and hope that jumble works? If somebody trashes prefs on one system does that trash prefs on others? And so on... pretty clear that any general approach here is not going to be workable. So maybe the best you could do is a manual copy prefs to systems... but then you can't do that reliably with different version of Pro Tools and different things installed, and not until all Pro Tools systems are shut down while this is happening, even that is going to mean any general system is unworkable.

If you already know what pref files you are copying manually and you have this working with how you operate the systems then just automate that copying, write a shell script to do this. You can hopefully also check in the script if Pro Tools is running on either system and might be able to use things like rsync(1) to do the actual copying. Be careful leaving open any security holes.

Templates are usually easy to address... e.g. place them on a shared NAS server.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:09 PM

I created a folder in my dropbox cloud called "Pro Tools Settings" and directed all of my Pro Tools "Documentation and Settings" folders to that on all 3 of my Pro Tools rigs. So far, it's day 3 and all is working great! I'll report back again soon.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:26 AM

20 days later. Still working flawlessly!