Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 02-13-2008, 04:56 AM

Default 10.5.2 compatibility

Hi!

I have a question to Digi´s following statement...

Quote:
* Pro Tools HD 7.4.1 software works with Mac OS X 10.5.1 only, and is NOT compatible with Apple’s new Mac OS X 10.5.2 release. Please do not update your OS until we’ve made an official announcement about compatibility.
What issues does the combination 7.4cs2MP + 10.5.2 + MB will have? I use 7.4cs2 on 10.5.1 and so far i have no issues and no problems...
...even the new Xpand update for 7.4.1 works now with the normal not funky-yellow GUI on my setup!

just curious

btw hello Mac community, I´m new to the Mac forum, switched from PC/LE to Mac/MP

Cheers

P.S. my signature will be edited soon
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 02-16-2008, 12:55 AM

Default Re: 10.5.2 compatibility

hello???
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 02-17-2008, 03:54 PM

Works with 10.5.2 for me. I had to uninstall and reinstall 7.4cs2 to be able to write to my volumes, but once I had done that, everything was fine.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Works with 10.5.2 for me. I had to uninstall and reinstall 7.4cs2 to be able to write to my volumes, but once I had done that, everything was fine.
Interesting. I had Pro Tools 7.4cs2 MP installed (with a Transit USB)on 10.5.1 and while Pro Tools would launch my old TDM sessions, the audio would stutter. As soon as I upgraded to 10.5.2, Pro Tools hangs on startup and can no longer even be force quit. It totally messes up my computer until I reboot and I have to hold the boot button until the computer shuts off and reboot.

So... 10.5.x has never worked for me as Digi indicates it wouldn't. I'm a bit surprised with what has happened since the 10.5.2 upgrade though... Digi even says not to upgrade 7.4.1 HD to 10.5.2 yet...

Steve
Old 02-22-2008, 04:29 PM

Default Compatibility - Pre-USB w/ 10.5.1 drivers on OS 10.5.2

I'll post this here and see if anybody sees it....

I have just gone from a MacMini with PTMPv7.4 (don't ask what build/version) running fine on 10.4 to a MacPro with Leopard and have already updated to 10.5.2, never had a chance to get 10.5.1.

My interface is a Mobile Pre-USB. Besides using the Pre-USB for audio input, I've also been using it for system audio output (iTunes, QuickTime, etc.).

I did a "Migration Assistant" drill when setting up the MacPro, which brought over ProTools, which appeared to be running fine in this environment despite not being qualified yet for 10.5.2.

However, it appears that the Pre-USB may have been causing some problems with the OS, which manifest as problems for the computer going into or coming out of sleep mode. This happened even when ProTools had not been running -- because I was using the PreUSB for system audio out.

The Mac Genius I spent an hour with today suspects that the "sleep" problems stem from the Pre-USB or its drivers (or both combined) and he advised against even bothering with the 10.5.1 driver update that is available from Digi.

I imagine that the driver that came over with the "Migration Assistant" is of course a 10.4.x driver, since that's what PT was running on the Mini. So it makes sense that there would be a conflict with any version of 10.5.

So, the question is: how compatible is the 10.5.1 driver for the Pre-USB with the 10.5.2 OS? Anybody have any idea? I'm reasonably certain that it's going to be more compatible than the 10.4.x driver, but... is it compatible enough to not cause the problems I've had with "sleep" mode?

And.... how long after 10.5.1 came out did it take Digi to get around to qualifying it? By which I mean.... how much longer for the 10.5.2 version?

--PS
Old 02-28-2008, 08:02 AM

File this under "For What It's Worth" ...

I'm running MP 7.4cs2 on a MacBook Pro (Santa Rosa) with an M-Audio 1814. I recently upgraded from Tiger to 10.5.2 without a single issue so far. I haven't had to reinstall anything, run the pre-binding script or upgrade to the M-Audio beta drivers. The only thing I had to do was upgrade my iLok drivers. Here's how my upgrade process went.

I originally had a single partition with Tiger on it. Using iPartition, I split that partition in half (I had the free space to do that) and then used SuperDuper to backup the Tiger partition to the new partition. I like SuperDuper for my backup software because it makes an identical copy AND it can create a bootable partition from your backup. I then had to two identical, bootable Tiger partitions (I wasn't ready to bail on Tiger until I was sure that the Leopard upgrade wasn't going to be a problem for Pro Tools). I set the backup partition as my startup drive, rebooted to it, repaired the disk permissions and then installed Leopard using the upgrade option on the Leopard installation DVD. Once it was done, I had a Tiger partition and a Leopard partition - identical except for the OS. I then ran the Software Update option of Leopard a few times until it finished updating everything and there was nothing more to get.

The first time I ran Pro Tools under 10.5.2 I got a message that the iLok drivers needed to be updated and it gave me a link to the Pace site where that got resolved in a couple of minutes. Once done, I relaunched PT and it ran the first time (and every time so far) without issues. Granted, I'm not using a lot of plug-ins beyond what came with PT but the few I am using seem to be working just fine. I still have my Tiger partition in case some PT problem rears it's head but so far so good.

FWIW.