Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 08-12-2020, 04:46 PM

Default Duplicate tracks without duplicating I/O?

Here's a question that I already know the answer to, but I'll ask it anyway in the hope that someone has an better workflow idea for me.

I love using track presets, they are the core of my workflow. One thing that catches me out, no matter how long I use it for is the duplication of the I/O. For example if I have a track preset that has the output of Bus 1, then I use that track preset again that track also has an output of Bus 1. This is perfectly fine and makes sense until you have more complicated track presets. Most of mine aren't just a single track but a folder, a group bus, a verb aux etc.

Sure, it's easy enough to rename a bus, but if I forget to do before the track is duplicated I can't just right click and rename the buses, I have to go into the go into the io, create a new bus, reassign the tracks, etc.

I'd love a modifier where I could hold say the CTRL key when dragging a track preset out of the workspace and it auto renamed the busses like it does with the track names. I know it's not possible, I'm hoping someone has another idea for me.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Duplicate tracks without duplicating I/O?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abt View Post
Here's a question that I already know the answer to, but I'll ask it anyway in the hope that someone has an better workflow idea for me.

I love using track presets, they are the core of my workflow. One thing that catches me out, no matter how long I use it for is the duplication of the I/O. For example if I have a track preset that has the output of Bus 1, then I use that track preset again that track also has an output of Bus 1. This is perfectly fine and makes sense until you have more complicated track presets. Most of mine aren't just a single track but a folder, a group bus, a verb aux etc.

Sure, it's easy enough to rename a bus, but if I forget to do before the track is duplicated I can't just right click and rename the buses, I have to go into the go into the io, create a new bus, reassign the tracks, etc.

I'd love a modifier where I could hold say the CTRL key when dragging a track preset out of the workspace and it auto renamed the busses like it does with the track names. I know it's not possible, I'm hoping someone has another idea for me.
+1 here. Track presets and folder tracks have become a very important part of my workflow, and I, among other things, always wish we had what you are talking about. It's difficult to maintain a (more or less) fixed IO setup without always having to go back in there to re-tweak buses. Sure it's flexible enough, but a pain in the butt. Stuff like this could continue for years before (if) Avid does anything about it. It's difficult to gain enough user support to get things improved/changed... sometimes it's just not important enough for some other users.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:41 PM

@lesbrunn - Thanks for the reply, I’ll keep you posted if I come up with a better solution.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:31 PM

If you are constantly duplicating tracks, I think you might consider a change to your work flow. Build session templates that have all the tracks you normally need so you are not duplicating all the time(for the exact reason you are talking about). Maybe if you can explain more about your end goal, someone might have more suggestions.

As for using Track Presets, you are not limited to calling up 1 preset and then duplicating to get more. You could create 10 of the same Track Preset(really any number) and use the modifier keys so that they cascade input or outputs(sorry I can't remember where I saw this, but I have seen it in action)

Another option is to create blank tracks, cascade the IO and then employ the Track Presets by using the Insert>Track Preset(which should not change the IO).

BTW, a "track preset" can actually be a batch of tracks(example, I have a Track Preset for Drums and it includes 14 audio tracks, 3 stereo AUX tracks and a VCA master. I go to the New Track menu and call that single preset and I get my entire drum setup(which also includes all my usual plugins, color coding and headphone mixes all ready to go). Of course, you can't use the Insert>Track Preset for this as that method is on a per-track basis)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-16-2020, 04:02 PM

@albee1952 - Thanks for the reply. I will elaborate my work flow a little bit.

In recent times I've completely abandoned templates in favor of track presets only. The only template I use now have my mastering chain and submix tracks. The rest is blank. I then have lot of track presets that I drag in to the session from the workspace as needed.

The reason why I do this is that my work varies a lot in style. One day I might be laying down a simple atmosphere, the next a full blown hybrid orchestra, the day after a metal band setup. These all over lap so monolithic template are out for me. I also hate giant monolithic templates, I'd much prefer to just have the tracks I need and nothing else in the session.

Yes, some of my track presets a huge. Things like I have live drums track preset that has busses for every kit piece, parallel comp bus, shells bus, an all drums bus, tracks for samples, etc. they get pretty big.

To elaborate on duplicating tracks and what specifically causes me problems really depends on how the track is duplicated. For example, I have a short strings track preset that has all the folders, busses, routing, reverb, etc, and just a single instrument track with the sample library loaded. As I'm writing I simply right click and duplicate the single instrument track as needed. As all the routing is kept this is a perfect example of how track duplicating works beautifully for me.

Where I come undone is where things aren't so specific. I have several track presets that are essentially just blank VIs that I use. For example, I have a blank omnisphere preset that has a folder, an instrument track, a bus, and a reverb. All the things I'd normally use ready to go. I drag in into my session, find a sound I like and get going. Perfect, I couldn't ask for a better workflow.

Here's the real problem - if I want another omnisphere track and I drag that same track preset in then I have a bit of a mess because all the I/O is already are there from when I used it previously. Everything is sending to duplicate places. I have to go in and rename all the I/O to be unique. It is better to do the renaming before dragging in the new track preset, but it's still a pain.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:38 PM

That does make things a bit clearer. Maybe the solution would be to create more Track Presets, like OmniSphere1, OmniSphere2, OmniSphere2, etc(with appropriate routing for each)? Or maybe consider a large "master" template that has everything you might use, but all of it made inactive(and maybe most of it hidden as well). Then you just activate what you need, when you need it

You also could utilize a massive "soup to nuts" session and use Import Session Data to pull in what you need for the project at hand?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-16-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
That does make things a bit clearer. Maybe the solution would be to create more Track Presets, like OmniSphere1, OmniSphere2, OmniSphere2, etc(with appropriate routing for each)? Or maybe consider a large "master" template that has everything you might use, but all of it made inactive(and maybe most of it hidden as well). Then you just activate what you need, when you need it

You also could utilize a massive "soup to nuts" session and use Import Session Data to pull in what you need for the project at hand?
I was actually playing with the Omnisphere 01, 02, 03 idea on the weekend and it works pretty well. I though it would be a pain if you needed to change a preset but it's actually not that bad, especially if you clear the I/O completely before you start. It would be a pain for really big track presets but for me I don't tend to drag multiples of those into a sessions, I also don't make that many changes to the more generic track presets that are the issue anyway.

I used to use the monolithic session idea but I much prefer the clean folder structure of the workspace and track presets.

For now I'll keep going with the 01, 02, 03 idea and see how that goes.