Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2012, 12:08 PM

Default Multiple computers = multiple copies?

Ok this is going to sound a bit silly, but here goes:

I used to use a laptop for my PT work, but have recently bought a desktop. I've enjoyed being able to transport my laptop and rig to various spaces for source recording, but I'm excited about the processing power of the desktop.

Do I need two separate copies of PT for each computer, or can I authorize one copy on both? The cynic in me says they'll want as much money off of me they can get, but if I can use my hardware with any given device, why not my software?
Snow Leopard
ProTools 9.0.6
Digirack 003
Old 03-07-2012, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Multiple computers = multiple copies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earfatigue View Post
Ok this is going to sound a bit silly, but here goes:

I used to use a laptop for my PT work, but have recently bought a desktop. I've enjoyed being able to transport my laptop and rig to various spaces for source recording, but I'm excited about the processing power of the desktop.

Do I need two separate copies of PT for each computer, or can I authorize one copy on both? The cynic in me says they'll want as much money off of me they can get, but if I can use my hardware with any given device, why not my software?
You only need 2 licenses if you want 2 iloks so you don't have to swap the device between them. If you don't mind moving the ilok around, you only need one license.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:25 PM

No kidding? Well, consider my cynicism pwned!
Snow Leopard
ProTools 9.0.6
Digirack 003
Old 03-07-2012, 12:28 PM

Get one system working exactly the way you want it, then clone the hard drive and put that in the 2nd system. Then all you have to do is carry around the iLok. Very easy. Long live iLok.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Get one system working exactly the way you want it, then clone the hard drive and put that in the 2nd system. Then all you have to do is carry around the iLok. Very easy. Long live iLok.
You can't system clone 2 machines unless the hardware is exactly the same, and even then it may cause issues.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
You can't system clone 2 machines unless the hardware is exactly the same, and even then it may cause issues.
I used to think that was true until I did a number of empirical tests. I've moved my entire boot drive (Pro Tools (9, then 10), Logic, countless plug-ins and additional apps) from a Harpertown Mac Pro (003), to a Santa Rosa MacBook (no hardware), to a Westmere Mac Pro (with an ICON!), to a MacBook Pro (MBox2). Mac OS X and Pro Tools are astonishingly portable. All you have to do is hold down 'n' while launching Pro Tools to choose the new hardware.

No issues.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:16 PM

Portability is one of the huge unadvertised features of OS X. The OS automatically adapts to the available hardware. I've gone from a Mac Pro to a laptop with a cloned drive countless times with 10.6/PT9 and 10.7/PT10.

The saved time is enormous. All of your preferences, custom plug-in presets, plug-in versions travel smoothly. Don't knock it until you try it...
Old 03-07-2012, 05:47 PM

I haven't tried it but I believe it. There are very few hardware options when compared to a windows system. So there really aren't that many drivers needed. The only exception being when hardware comes after a software release. Like the new Mac mini (specifically the server version), it doesn't play well with snow leopard. And conversely some older intel macs aren't supported in lion. But as long as all your systems are supported by the OS version you're using I can totally see it working.

But back to the OP. You can install PT on every computer you have access to. But it will only run on the one the ilok is plugged into. So you only need 2 licenses if you need to run pro tools on 2 computers at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk