Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 01-09-2019, 02:33 PM

Default Warning to anyone thinking of purchasing Drumagog to use with Pro Tools

Specifically Pro Tools 2018 on Windows.

It's ancient software and I imagine few would purchase it these days but be careful if you're thinking of it. There's a potential nasty bug with the AAX version in Pro Tools where it will throw an error when attempting to instantiate. According to "support" it's a known issue with a number of users. I've been going back and forth with them since last summer and it appears there's no fix in sight and the "support" person actually suggested in an email today that I might just want to purchase an alternate solution instead of waiting for a fix. Very frustrating.

Specifically, Drumagog will occasionally load and function normally but more often than not will throw an error instead. I had a similar problem with it back on my old HD system on OSX but could always resolve it by quickly reinstalling the plugin. So far on Windows though I've not been able to figure out the secret handshake. The net effect is that I could use Drumagog on Monday and then not be able to recall it at any foreseeable point until some sort of unknowable magic happens and it will suddenly re-open someday.

To make matters worse the VST version won't be recognized by Metaplugin so that's not an option. It does consistently open in VE Pro which is some consolation but very cumbersome.

At this point it looks like Drumagog is much cheaper than it was when I purchased it but if you're in my situation please be advised that there are problems and adequate support is lacking.
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek

Last edited by sleepingtiger; 01-09-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Warning to anyone thinking of purchasing Drumagog to use with Pro Tools

Yeah, I have Drumagog 5 and have given up on it as I can never get it to work, going back a year or more(had it going in PT11, but once I moved to PT12, it would only throw a -7504 error). Now using Slate Trigger and I like it much better

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-10-2019, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Warning to anyone thinking of purchasing Drumagog to use with Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Yeah, I have Drumagog 5 and have given up on it as I can never get it to work, going back a year or more(had it going in PT11, but once I moved to PT12, it would only throw a -7504 error). Now using Slate Trigger and I like it much better

Pretty much my experience as well except I could actually get it to work every now and again but it's so random and unpredictable it's basically useless. I rarely need drum replacement software but when I do need it I *really* need it and I need to know that it's going to instantiate reliably.

I upgraded an old license for Aptrigga and it works great for what it does, it's just limited feature-wise compared to Slate and Drumagog, especially as far as MIDI. Even when Drumagog worked though it was clunky and often didn't trigger well despite good features. Do you find that Slate Trigger functions well in that regard? I wish they offered a demo.
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 01-10-2019, 10:51 AM

Slate Trigger has always worked well for me. Triggered sounds are good and tight and there are a selection of good sounds with the Platinum version.

False triggers can be negated using the suppression feature, I'll let the manual explain.

"TRIGGER 2 has the unique funcVonality to be set in a way that it can automaVcally be instructed to NOT trigger certain leakages on a drum track using it’s Leakage Suppression mode. Using Leakage Suppression technology, you can trigger a drum track with 100% accuracy, even if it has a lot of bleed from other drum tracks.
To use the Leakage Suppression, first create a stereo group or aux track in your workstaVon and instanVate TRIGGER 2 on the first insert. Using aux sends, route the drum track that you wish to replace/augment to the LEFT channel of this new group track (in some workstaVons this can be done via panning the original track. Consult your host’s user manual for further instrucVon).
Before we go further, let’s assume that we are triggering from a snare drum and it has both bass drum and hi hat leakage. Assuming you have individual bass drum and hi hat tracks, use the aux sends on these tracks and send them to the RIGHT side of the TRIGGER 2 stereo group channel. So now we have the snare drum track being sent to the LEFT side of the TRIGGER 2 group, and both the bass drum and hi hat tracks being sent to the RIGHT side of the TRIGGER 2 group. Now find a secVon of the mix where there is a lot of bass drum and hi hat leakage on the snare drum track. Adjust the Suppression control in the upper leu porVon of the display unVl TRIGGER 2 starts to ONLY trigger the snare drum hits, while suppressing bleed from other drums."

For example, the snare can be used to detect when there is spill in say the kick channel and not to trigger and vice versa. Works well is practice.

I have some options but Trigger 2 does the job admirably. Shame you missed the Black Friday/December deal as everything was half priced but if you are patient.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 01-10-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Slate Trigger has always worked well for me. Triggered sounds are good and tight and there are a selection of good sounds with the Platinum version.

False triggers can be negated using the suppression feature, I'll let the manual explain.

"TRIGGER 2 has the unique funcVonality to be set in a way that it can automaVcally be instructed to NOT trigger certain leakages on a drum track using it’s Leakage Suppression mode. Using Leakage Suppression technology, you can trigger a drum track with 100% accuracy, even if it has a lot of bleed from other drum tracks.
To use the Leakage Suppression, first create a stereo group or aux track in your workstaVon and instanVate TRIGGER 2 on the first insert. Using aux sends, route the drum track that you wish to replace/augment to the LEFT channel of this new group track (in some workstaVons this can be done via panning the original track. Consult your host’s user manual for further instrucVon).
Before we go further, let’s assume that we are triggering from a snare drum and it has both bass drum and hi hat leakage. Assuming you have individual bass drum and hi hat tracks, use the aux sends on these tracks and send them to the RIGHT side of the TRIGGER 2 stereo group channel. So now we have the snare drum track being sent to the LEFT side of the TRIGGER 2 group, and both the bass drum and hi hat tracks being sent to the RIGHT side of the TRIGGER 2 group. Now find a secVon of the mix where there is a lot of bass drum and hi hat leakage on the snare drum track. Adjust the Suppression control in the upper leu porVon of the display unVl TRIGGER 2 starts to ONLY trigger the snare drum hits, while suppressing bleed from other drums."

For example, the snare can be used to detect when there is spill in say the kick channel and not to trigger and vice versa. Works well is practice.

I have some options but Trigger 2 does the job admirably. Shame you missed the Black Friday/December deal as everything was half priced but if you are patient.

Stephen

Thanks for sharing this, Stephen Bond!
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek