Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-1998, 12:37 AM

Default 882 Studio interface upgrade?

After succesful PT Mix upgrade thread I would like to start another - 882/Studio interface upgrade. I have Session8/PC from 06'93. It still is my favourite piece of soft and hardware, but it's slowly showing its age. Back in '93 there were two options - 2x442 or one 8 I/O interface - "no name" then. It works great and they even say it sounds better then 882 I/O. So what? I think I'll upgrade my S8 to PT Mixplus/NT and I"ll get discount $3k when I return old Session 8 ISA cards. And what about my interface? 882 I/O can work with new system, 882/Studio cannot. I cannot upgrade 882/Studio, but I've heard that one can upgrade 882 I/O!
With 882 I/O I could use it as first or secondary interface or upgrade or sell - it's still compatible. With 882/Studio I can do nothing - and Digi does not want it from me for any amount of money!
Digidesign, please do something! I'll buy PT24MIXplus/NT anyway, but what about my old interface? Any suggestions welcome...
Thanks,
Przemek.
Old 10-18-1998, 06:09 PM

Default Re: 882 Studio interface upgrade?

I Agree!!!!!
I to have a 882 studio interface!! I was told in 1995!! that this was the interface to buy for the session8 it was the BEST!!! Interface for the session8. Please give the 882 Studio interface owners a upgrade for there interface. I would love to get pro tools!! But I need a upgrade for my 882 studio. What good is this interface. It dont work with pro tools!!!! I will have to purchase another interface!!! Then in three years you will tell me that the new interface, that i just purchased is not compatable with Your new upgrade!!! Give us a break!!!! NEED UPGRADE OPTIONS PLEASE!!!
Thats All!!!
Old 10-18-1998, 11:02 PM
Avid

We do not have an upgrade for either the 882 Studio or the single rack space 882. The 882 is a newer unit than the 882 Studio and will work with all of our PCI hardware by adding a PCI Peripheral Cable. Yhe 882 Studio is not capable of working with the PCI systems, just like the 442 and most older hardware. The 882/Studio has been a better interface for you to use with your Session 8 PC system than the 882 would have been for the past 3 years that you have been using it. And there certainly wasn't any way to know in 1995 what future compatibility would be. For all you or I know, there may be something other than PCI systems in another 3 years, and I can't guarantee that anything you buy today will work on a different system in the future. Nobody can.
We do not offer an exchange for either of the 882 models, which we no longer make or refurbish. We have offered $3000 off of an exchange for a Pro Tools|24 system or PT 24|MIX, to which you can add an 882/20, which is a much better audio interface, and lists for $1245. Some people may prefer to add an 888/24 or an ADAT Bridge instead of an 882, or in addition to one.
I think we've made a generous offer for Session 8 PC owners, allowing you to upgrade and configure your system however you like.

Bruce Paine,
Digidesign Product Information
Old 10-18-1998, 11:49 PM

Thanks, Bruce. I like the upgrade offer. What makes me sad is that I have to thrash working 2u piece of hardware :-( Maybe if I can donate it ... but w/o cards?
Old 10-20-1998, 03:24 PM
Avid

Don't know if this helps, but there may be more of a market for it for older Mac systems. The 882/Studio works with Pro Tools Nubus systems, all the way up to Pro Tools III Nubus on a Powermac 7100 or 8100. Someone with one of those systems might want to double their I/O capability from 8 to 16 by adding the 882/Studio and a Bridge I/O card. It even uses the same cable. You might want to try selling it on the used market, or if you do donate it, a school or organization with a Pro Tools III NuBus system might be able to use it. The tricky part is that they would have to find a Bridge I/O on the used market in order to hook up a second interface.
I agree, it does seem a shame that many of the things in this business that were state of the art yesterday end up hard to give away tomorrow. Even the requests to our charity committee are mostly for PCI equipment only.

Bruce Paine
Digidesign Product Information