How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-08-2017, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Reverb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Be sure to have a point in why you add that little extra. Otherwise it might ruin your sound
Yes, true indeed.

To be honest, I'm more a fan of drier sounds myself, depending on the genre and the nature of the production. But I'm fan of a more intimate or in your face sound when it's appropriate.

Even for that concert hall experience I prefer to put the listener up front and close to the stage, where you can feel the stage energy, as opposed to setting the listener back in the hall with a slightly more passive experience.

So reverbs and room mics I prefer quite low.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:00 AM

You don't necessarily need to mix as dry as you think. As a rule of thumb, "in your face" sounds are done with shorter decay and "further back" sounds with longer decay. Point being whether you want to hear the reverb right now (in your face) or focus on the tail sound (further back).
Old 03-08-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You don't necessarily need to mix as dry as you think. As a rule of thumb, "in your face" sounds are done with shorter decay and "further back" sounds with longer decay. Point being whether you want to hear the reverb right now (in your face) or focus on the tail sound (further back).
Yep and that's pretty much how I go about it. But the ratio of direct to reverb puts the reverb as lower and further back in time because the listener is much closer to the direct source. "Lower" is a relative term here, not an absolute.

Nontheless, a drier source (not necessarily dry) gives me more flexibility in terms of placement on the "soundstage". When accessing more reverb to place the sound I first go to the room mics. If the room mics don't fit ambience and size I'm shooting for then I turn to other reverb and associated tricks.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:59 AM

Then if you are like me(and a bit stuck in the eighties)....I get nagged at for too much reverb. My solution; bring it up to where I like it. Turn it down to where I think the client will like. Then turn it down another 2db

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-08-2017, 09:23 AM

I monitor using Genelec 8000 series (sometimes 8050, sometimes 8040) and those reveal every nyance there is to reverb. Once you go over the line and have little too much, it is just perfect for your audience (listening to iPhone headphones or car speakers)
Old 03-21-2018, 02:16 PM

I’m really experimenting with reverb now as I think this is one of the things letting my tracks down.

What do people use on certain instruments etc and do you use more than one say for example a vocal might get a little plate and a little room or do people use delay more.

What about room mics and overheads of drums do you guys give these room verb or plate, maybe even some delay.

Any info on what you do and what genre of music would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 03-21-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
I’m really experimenting with reverb now as I think this is one of the things letting my tracks down.

What do people use on certain instruments etc and do you use more than one say for example a vocal might get a little plate and a little room or do people use delay more.

What about room mics and overheads of drums do you guys give these room verb or plate, maybe even some delay.

Any info on what you do and what genre of music would be much appreciated

For drums I like a plate reverb whether it's an ir reverb or the Abbey Roads plates from Waves. If I want a really dramatic effect on piano I'll use the Eventide Blackhole reverb plugin.

I only use delay as an effect mostly on guitar but never on drums. Not a huge fan of slapback delay on vocals or even heavy reverb on vocals. Maybe a light room type reverb. If I want to thicken up a vocal I'll turn to the Eventide H3000 plugin using the Dual H910s patch and tweak the delays/pitch a bit.

QAPLA!
Old 03-21-2018, 02:44 PM

Do you put the plate reverb on all the individual drums or on the drum bus?

When you use the h3000 plug is that the classic micro pitch setting that was used on the hardware years agon

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 03-21-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:

For me, reverbs are on bus/aux tracks a good 99% of the time(if I say 100%, I'll remember some oddity done a year ago for some reason that made sense at the time). Eventide Black Hole is certainly an interesting plugin, but for me, its rarely used for "regular" reverb needs

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-21-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:

When you use the h3000 plug is that the classic micro pitch setting that was used on the hardware years agon

Send from the drum bus to the plate on an aux track.

Don't know specifically about what you're asking with regards to the H3000. Like I said I'll start with the 'Dual H910s' patch and tweak that.

QAPLA!