Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-26-2016, 05:22 AM

Default Longtime music engineer, looking to set up surround system

Full time recording/mixing/mastering engineer since 1991. All work in stereo up til this point. Interested in setting up surround system in the studio to coexist with my Barefoot MM27s and NS10s.

Will mostly be music work, possibly getting into post at some point. Or at least learn and tinker with it a little bit.

Anyway, looking at the JBL LSR series (8" speakers, 10" sub) as a cost effective "way in" since it's not going to be an "earner" necessarily.

Anyone running these monitors?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Longtime music engineer, looking to set up surround system

I have JBL LSR4300 5.1 system in my home studio. Totally great, and good price/performance. I chose this system over the Genelec 8040 system.

I know other mixers love the JBL 6300s, too. I don't have as much experience with those.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:45 AM

I use a pair of JBL LSR 308's, and I LOVE them. I have owned and/or mixed on MANY other similar monitors over the years, and the 308's are definitely my favorites. They are very true and mixes translate nicely. Do not worry about the very low price point; I'd have paid a LOT more to get these (just don't tell JBL). They are light on input gain, but once you sort that out you'll be happy. I mount mine on Primeacoustic Recoil stabilizers. Good luck on the surround setup - keep us posted.
Info/Services link
Old 02-27-2016, 06:34 AM

Great, thanks for the feedback.

The LSR3 series is insanely inexpensive. I think I will go with them since I can always still go to the Barefoots if needed for a "folded down" perspective.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:29 AM

I have a JBL LSR4300 5.1 here. I've always liked how they sound. Relatively easy to setup with built-in tuning. The price is right, too; especially good deals in the used market.

Be aware that older models had a flaw in the material of the outer case. After about 3-4 years, the polymer of the plastic body starts to 'self destruct' and ooz out a substance that is tacky like glue. Fortunately because of this, there is a huge used market of really cheap ones for sale from panicked owners trying to get rid of them. (One pair in my 5.1 I bought for $600!). What most people aren't aware of is a guy on Ebay selling a jar of stuff that removes the sticky, and reconditions the surface to look like new. The guy is a chemical engineer and weekend-warrior-musician who had that happen to his LSRs, so he developed a fix. It worked great on mine.

Just watch out for used ones where the owners tried too hard to remove the stickiness themselves. It'll be pretty obvious in photos. I looked at one used pair where the owner took a brillo pad and bleach to it. He removed all the writing on the buttons and scratched the hell out of the case. Yikes.

Also, I've heard that JBL solved the problem 2 years ago. So if you buy a new set, you should be fine.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 02-27-2016, 08:42 AM

On a side note, I have an extra monitor stand to sell if you need one for your new 5.1 setup. I never even took it out of the box.

I had decided to go with the Ultimate Support MS-90 because they have internal channels for routing ables, and also to fill with sand or iron beads. It helps them from being knocked over.

Anyway, I had to buy them in pairs, so I've had an extra wrapped up in it's box.

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/ms-90-45b.html
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 02-27-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Great, thanks for the feedback.

The LSR3 series is insanely inexpensive. I think I will go with them since I can always still go to the Barefoots if needed for a "folded down" perspective.
We had 308's on loan for that exact purpose and after listening on our Quested 3110's and 3 front 2108's the 308's went back quicker than you could say "holy crap batman" ... If you use the Barefoot monitors daily you will be desperately disappointed with the LSR 308 or 305 monitors. Sorry but thats just my opinion and you should maybe loan a setup of them before you buy.

However IF you are thinking of starting out somewhere and not expecting that much of quality sound coming from the High End monitors then it would probaly be a really good stepping stone as the 6 monitors will be the cheapest price and you do get quite a bit for that cash with the LSR 308's. I am not trashing them but we thought if we would get a 5.1 system we would buy it once and not throw out the money for a lesser setup just to use a few months and then buy again. The second hand price for the 308/305 are not great so we would have lost a pretty penny during our "test/foot in the door" period.

My best advice would be to get what you want at the dirst go and if money is an issue today then i would either save for the better monitors or get a 3rd NS10 and use the monitors you have as a 5.1 combo until you can get a complete set of the same monitors, either NS10's or 3 more Barefoor monitors which isn't cheap hehe I know, we bought 5 Quested monitors, 3 x 3110's and 2 x 3110's.

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-27-2016, 09:11 AM

Check out the new JBL 7 series, too. Much more expansive than the LSR4300's, but thy sound really good. I'm leaning towards those when/if I do an Atmos upgrade.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 02-27-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Sorry but thats just my opinion and you should maybe loan a setup of them before commit to buy.
The 308s are so cheap, and for what I will be using them for, I am willing to take the risk.

For example, if/when doing a surround music mix, I can do all eq'ing/comps/basic balances etc on the Barefoots and only use the JBLs to hear the spread etc. If/when doing any post type work, I think the JBLs will likely be representative of consumer's systems.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:16 AM

The JBL LSR4300 translate very well to broadcast.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD