Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-13-2009, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Video Satellite LE versus Virtual VTR?

PTLE 8.0cs1
Video Satellite LE
MBox 1, or MBox 2 Micro

What was your point??
Old 02-14-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post
I have 3 Final Cut Pro editing suite with AJA ( Kona3, Kona LH and LS ). I tried it on the Kona3/Macpro station along with an Mbox Pro. It does not work. When you open the video within PT it does not play through the card. Anyone manage to get any of these cards to work with PT ???
The AJA won't work...at the moment.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIAFXMX View Post
PTLE 8.0cs1
Video Satellite LE
MBox 1, or MBox 2 Micro

What was your point??
I didn't think MBox 1 was supported in PR8, that was my point. Guess I was wrong.
Cheers
SK
Old 02-17-2009, 03:56 AM

If the QTs in the VSLE behave the same way, than QTs inside PT session, all pros and cons (and differences from VVTR) should be the same. There was another topic here in DUC about VS LE (@ PT Tdm MacOS I believe). The system looks really nice and easy to setup, you do not need any midi interfaces, fast lock-up time, ability to loop, etc.
But, the problem comes, when you need to have really tight sync. This means, that BB generator and SYNC hardware is a must. Vvtr has a RESYNC feature, which allows the picture to follow incoming timecode, comapare it with QT's timecode and corrects it, if nescessary. If the QT with VS LE really behaves the same way, than in the "audio" PT's empty session, it is pretty easy to check it with Syncheck. Without BB and SYNC there is a start error. With VVTR there is no start error.
From my point of view, this is the most important difference.

regards,
Kuba
Old 02-17-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
But, the problem comes, when you need to have really tight sync. This means, that BB generator and SYNC hardware is a must. Vvtr has a RESYNC feature, which allows the picture to follow incoming timecode, comapare it with QT's timecode and corrects it, if nescessary. If the QT with VS LE really behaves the same way, than in the "audio" PT's empty session, it is pretty easy to check it with Syncheck. Without BB and SYNC there is a start error. With VVTR there is no start error.
Right on ! I've asked this question many times but was never able to get a straight answer from Digi. VS LE sort of work ok on smaller set up where sync does not need to be super tight, but then again, who would want to bother setting up a dedicated machine for video to run small session, mind as well do it in you PT machine. So VVTR Resync feature is definitely a huge advantage, BB and Sync HD will set me back 4K, so for now, VVTR's still the best option, it also supports the AJA hardware, wich to me, is definitely a step up in quality and support compare to Decklink product.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Without BB and SYNC there is a start error. With VVTR there is no start error.
If you've got a video card with VVTR, I think you'll need reference (BB or Tri-Level) into both PT (Sync) and that video card. Otherwise, I cannot see any way to avoid a start error through the card's video output.

I suppose there is a nice advantage to not needing a SyncIO (-HD) for VVTR, though.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:19 AM

Postman,

if there could be a start error, a Syncheck device should defenetly show and measure this issue. But I have right readings (0ms delay between audio and video) EVERY TIME I hit play (10/10).
If you press play in PT, you may notice, that on VVTR MMC green light brights for a moment, then RESYNC (also for a moment) and finally TC (25fps) in my case (PAL).

And I can say, that I do not know, how it works, but it works. And I did both long forms and short forms with this setup.

regards,
Kuba
Old 02-17-2009, 09:37 AM

You do know that a SYNC I/O or HD is NOT needed on the VSLE machine right?
It's only needed on the ProTools HD side.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:56 AM

I asked the question here in DUC about start error and got the answer from Bob Brown, that in order to have a tight sync and to not have a start error issue, there is a need to drive both audio and video from one clock source. So: you need to have a SYNC or SYNC HD hardware on PT side and you need a genlockable video card on VS LE side.
As for VVTR, I'm describing a setup, which works on their internal clocks, but somehow plays audio in a perfect sync to video and vice versa.

regards,
Kuba
Old 02-17-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba Pietrzak View Post
But I have right readings (0ms delay between audio and video) EVERY TIME I hit play (10/10).
If you press play in PT, you may notice, that on VVTR MMC green light brights for a moment, then RESYNC (also for a moment) and finally TC (25fps) in my case (PAL).

And I can say, that I do not know, how it works, but it works. And I did both long forms and short forms with this setup.
That is truely amazing. I know you are very meticulous and I believe you. I just do not understand how it is possible unless the audio is somehow referenced to the video coming off of the video card. I also do not understand how my wife puts up with me. Sometimes life is better with mysteries.