Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Generating Avid change lists for conform

Quote:
...I still had a lot of problems with "moves" (I didn't try the solution posed in the editor's guild article because I don't have that kind of access to the Avid). I don't feel it's fair to blame the program as there seemed to be problems with the change list itself. Some of the changes seemed to occur at a totally incorrect timecode/footage, and moves weren't being listed properly.
Hey Matt

there are a few problemos that will catch you up.

If the film is logged incorrectly then you've got major problems using change notes. Similarly if you make a change note that doesn't reflect all the active picture layers in the AVID composition you've also got troubles. Usually getting editorial to give you cutlists for the first three video tracks will solve this.

As far as your earlier question about employing 29.97 timecode to conform then don't even go there. You poor folks in the NTSC world are rather unlucky in that you can't use video timecode to get anywhere near an accurate film conform..... period. That's why feet and frames exist... hard numbers that actually relate to the real film frame.

Conformalizer has a neat function that allows you to import both your old and new quicktime movies and then step thru the changes and physically see both movies play thru the edits. You can inch your way thru and actually relate the changes to the new picture cuts. We're using it here on a rather large movie and it rocks. Try that demo too.

When you are relying on change notes and cutlists then you are at the mercy of the Picture team providing you with accurate lists.

When all else fails then just go back to the old faithful method.... Group all the tracks you need to conform including the old guide track together in ProTools and play down versus the new guide track. Match by eye to get it roughly in line and then start phase-synching it. Sometimes you'll find this is the best method and it's one you'll find many feature film sound editors will resort to in order to stop already cut material from "dropping thru the cracks" during an automated conform process.

Good luck Matt

Ray
Old 10-20-2005, 10:14 PM

We've been using Editrace for more than one year now.
Usually conforming 60 tracks of concert multitrack recording (1 1/2 hour long).

It just takes a few seconds to do that.

As far as I know Editrace is a lot cheaper than Virtual Katy
www.standup.be

MacPro 2019 16 Core
PT Ultimate 2021.3.1
HDX 1
D-Command
Old 10-27-2005, 08:24 PM

conformalizer will allow you to conform in any frame rate you choose.

if your EDLs (or cutlists) are at 24fps and your session is 29.97NDF, you can either switch your session to 23.976 or get conformalizer to convert the timecodes as it conforms the session.

conformalizer will import EDLs, Cutlists or change notes and will export EDLs or changenotes in Feet+Frames or timecode.
it allows you to check the conform against both pictures and clean it up as you see fit.

and it is cheaper than both VK and CNA.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:18 AM

Hi Mate,

Sorry to bring up an old post. I was just trying to figure out what is VK about because apparently, VK conformer is FREE for all PT HD users ..

I went to your link, and still cannot figure out why it took 54 hours.

Thanks & Regards,
[Charles]

Quote:
Hi
no, it literally took 54 hours . I was at the stage of the final mix. Out of blue, the pic editor and director decided to re-cut the picture. The session consisted of 64 audio tracks(automations + ..etc) I thought the reason behind that amount of time might've been a PC thing...

the story goes like this
it did its job very well so I didn’t bother to call the tech support.

here is some early reviews regarding EDL conform tools
another good tool EdiTrace

hope it’ll work for u

good luck

berk