Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-20-2018, 01:51 PM

Default Need advice on upgrade path

Years ago I used to run Pro Tools on a Power Mac G5. I had the 002R that I purchased brand new and started with version 6.7 I believe. At some point I upgraded to 7.2-7.4 and ran this version for YEARS without any issue on the Power Mac.

Anyway, I sold the G5 and ended up migrating to Logic Pro around 2008 and upgraded to the Intel machines. I've been using Logic primarily ever since that time period (past decade or so).

I still have tons of old PT sessions and some PT sessions from work I've done in the past few years at other studios that I'd like access to. I've also debated purchasing Pro Tools again just because it's been awhile, also for the sake of having more compatibility with other studios.

Anyway, my question: Is the best route for me to take just to purchase the newest version outright? I assume since it's been so long that there's not a good way to upgrade from 7/8 to a newer version is there?

Believe it or not, I still have my 002R (been in storage for years) but have a feeling my original PT disc isn't going to work on any newer mac.

I've done the trial of 10/11 at some point (2015 I think because I needed it for a session) and currently just paid the $30 to try 2018.3 for a month.

I'm just wondering what the best bang/buck cost ratio is for someone who simply wants access to old PT sessions, doesn't work primarily in Pro Tools, but would like to have it for opening sessions/exporting/etc.

I've thought about just buying a license for 9 or 10 on eBay, but not sure of the differences and what I'm getting into. I've been out of the PT game for a long time!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2018, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Need advice on upgrade path

Most any new-ish Mac is for sure, not going to work with the older software. But on a good note, the 002R is probably going to work, provided 2 things happen:
#1-the 002 still works at all(the dreaded "power harness" issue is very likely to appear on a unit that has sat for years(pop the lid and re-seat each connection 5-6 times and that issue might be solved for a while).
#2-new Macs have Thunderbolt but no firewire, so you will need some adapters to get from TB to FW400(or buy a 2011-2012 vintage Mac that still has firewire).

Or, you could be bold and go over to a custom-built PC pro-tools-pc.com

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-20-2018, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Need advice on upgrade path

I don't necessarily need to use the 002R at all - I was just stating that I still have it with the included software (if it helped my upgrade path at all - doubtful). At some point I know I was on 7.4.

I currently run a Metric Halo ULN-8 so I'd be fine with Pro Tools 9 or above I believe. Just not sure what the most cost effective route is to take. I'm not going to be actively using PT on a daily basis or anything - just want to have it for sessions here and there (session compatibility and accessing older sessions).