Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2002, 05:20 PM

Default Re: G4 price drop in July?

Quote:
Originally posted by synthetic:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Didier de Roos:
There's another element to keep in mind regarding the new G4s that we might see in a few weeks: it is very possible (maybe even probable if we believe Steve Jobs) that they simply won't be able to boot in OS9!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">MacRumors.com just posted this rumor. The XServe Macs won't boot in OS9, so this is probably true.<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 06-23-2002, 05:22 PM

quote:
---------
Originally posted by synthetic:

quote:
---------
Originally posted by Didier de Roos:
There's another element to keep in mind regarding the new G4s that we might see in a few weeks: it is very possible (maybe even probable if we believe Steve Jobs) that they simply won't be able to boot in OS9!
---------------------------------------------------MacRumors.com just posted this rumor. The XServe Macs won't boot in OS9, so this is probably true.

Yeah but servers really don't need OS [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
We still do [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2002, 07:28 PM

Lee you said wait until July 7th, but we will have to wait until July 17th. The rebates end July 7th. MacWorld is the 17th. I doubt they will introduce new PowerMacs before Macworld.

Also, I heard from another source that it is very possible that the new Macs won't boot up in OS 9. OS 9 will only be available in Classic mode. And has mentioned earlier X-serve only boots up in OS X. So this could be true. I heard this rumor in reference to why it is taking MOTU so long to get 3.1 ready. Could be they are making it OS X ready in time for new PowerMacs.
Old 06-23-2002, 09:19 PM

Wait until after MacWorld and then buy a "dicsounted" G4 933!!!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2002, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Didier de Roos:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">MacRumors.com just posted this rumor. The XServe Macs won't boot in OS9, so this is probably true.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:50 AM

Let's just hope Digidesign are REALLY making progress on the OSX version of PT...Until then, I'm holding on to my good old 9600.
Old 06-24-2002, 07:09 AM

It is likely that there will be new machines at Macworld. Aside from a new 'digital hub' device there is a high chance of at least a speed bump for the G4.

The problem is not only might there be compatability issues with PT but also there may be a delay in machines coming to the market.

As for the displays the Apple 17" at $1000 is looking a little overpriced, most 17" are around the $800 mark. There is a good chance Apple will either change the design or pricing or both of their display range. It may only be the introduction of an 18" display and a drop in price of the 17".

If you can, hold off and wait and see. It might be worth checking inventory at your dealer as sometimes 'old' stock is not available in the run up to something like Macworld as they clear the shelves for new stock. If there are 800 or 933 G4 s around, you can hold off until the announcement knowing you can at least get one of these
if the new range is not suited to PT or will not be around for a few weeks.

I am buying a new system myself. Fortunately I am under no pressure and I am holding off until Macworld. There is little chance of G5s but a good chance of a G4 speed bump with new bits such as DDR Ram, Firewire 2, Bluetooth, Faster Airport etc. Maybe even a case redesign: remember the Blue and White G3 with Firewire etc ? It served as a bridge between Beige G3 and G4. I am guessing this is what we will see in New York.

Sorry if I am rambling but I have been reading up a bit on this lately and have heard lots of different theories on what is likely to happen..
Old 06-24-2002, 07:44 AM

I just want to thank everyone for their input. I really appreciate all of the insight. I know, of course, that nobody knows for sure but you have given me a lot to think about. I will follow the advice of the majority and wait until after MacWorld to buy the G4 (no matter how painful it will be to look at my HD3 system in its box). I guess it will give me time to read the manual before installing the system (that will be a first). [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 07-08-2002, 10:47 PM

From macminute.com:

Apple launches new Power Mac promo
July 8 - 12:00 ET**Apple has announced a new "Crystal Clear Savings" promotion that offers US$300-$500 back when a Power Mac G4 is purchased along with a 17-inch Studio Display, 22-inch Cinema Display, or 23-inch Cinema HD display. The savings are $300 for an 800MHz Power Mac G4, $400 for a 933MHz Power Mac G4, and $500 for a dual-1GHz Power Mac G4. The promotion runs from July 9 through August 12. In addition, sources inform MacMinute that Apple has discontinued the 15-inch Studio Display, which is not eligible for this promotion.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:16 AM

Thanks for the news. I sure hope the base prices drop a bit when MacWorld starts because I could have saved $500 on a 933 & 17" display last month. Now I can only save $400 on the same combo. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Mike