Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2017, 04:28 AM

Default Re: Can Pro Tools Do Automtion Curves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV626 View Post
Well it's MIDI so you'll end up with steps anyway... You might not hear them but that doesn't mean they're not there.

What's important is what you actually hear. When I draw a (MIDI) line in Logic, I don't see steps, and I don't hear steps. When I draw a line in Pro Tools, I do see (sometimes tiny) steps, but I don't hear steps. Same result. Doesn't make any difference to me to be honest - in fact sometimes it's may even be a cool reminder that you're looking at MIDI information, not audio...
Fair enough. That being said, is there a way to reduce the size of these steps? Just to help tighten things up?

Also, if I were to use something like a PreSonus FaderPort to control and draw in automation?
Old 09-14-2017, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo123 View Post
Fair enough. That being said, is there a way to reduce the size of these steps? Just to help tighten things up?
That was answered in post #2 (the grid thing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo123 View Post
Also, if I were to use something like a PreSonus FaderPort to control and draw in automation?
You can use a faderport of course but you don't need any to draw automation on Pro Tools, just enable the parameter (Ctrl-Alt-Win-Click on the control you want to automate), set the mode on the track from read to write or latch and move the control to write the automation as the session plays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olk_PvyJiGo

Last edited by amagras; 09-15-2017 at 07:43 AM. Reason: +link
Old 09-14-2017, 04:49 AM

With regards to the steps deal keep in mind that MIDI pitch bend is a 14 bit number with values from 0 (zero) to 16383. A MIDI monitor program will show it as +/- 8192 with -8192 being max pitch down and +8192 being max pitch up. This is different from the regular MIDI message which have values from 0 (zero) to 127. They both have steps but the pitch bend control message is finer than say a cc7 (volume) message.

Granted the MIDI implementation in PT is a bit of a problem and it doesn't look like it will ever get fixed. That's why a lot of people that do a lot of work in MIDI use another daw for that purpose (for instance I'll use Digital Performer for extensive MIDI work).

QAPLA!
Old 09-24-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
That was answered in post #2 (the grid thing)

You can use a faderport of course but you don't need any to draw automation on Pro Tools, just enable the parameter (Ctrl-Alt-Win-Click on the control you want to automate), set the mode on the track from read to write or latch and move the control to write the automation as the session plays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olk_PvyJiGo
Sorry for the newbie questions, but when you mean the grid thing, do you mean to change the size of the steps? Say from 1/4 notes (what I keep it set at) to something like 1/32 notes? Thanks!