Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-15-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Continued MIDI Issues

Hi everyone,
Looks like I'm still stuck with my MIDI issue. Here's a recap:

I'm running 6.4 LE with the 001 using XP. I recently purchased the Studiologic CMK-49, a basic MIDI keyboard controller that ONLY has a MIDI out port (no MIDI IN, no volume controls, wheels, built in sounds, etc). I'm attempting to interface the keyboard with the 001 by connecting the MIDI OUT of the CMK with the MIDI IN of the 001, but I keep running into the same snag. I'm trying to use the Arturia MiniMoog V as a soft syth that can be played from the CMK. I can get the Minimoog to make sounds as a plug-in (by clicking a key with the mouse), but I can't get the CMK-49 to trigger those sounds (meaning I can't play the Minimoog using the CMK). I've figured out how to get Pro Tools to record and playback sounds that I make from the Minimoog when clicking the keys as a plugin, but again nothing from physically playing the CMK.

Here's a decription of my session:

I have only three tracks set up in the session: one aux stereo track with the minimoog plugin on one of the inserts, one MIDI track and one audio track. On the input portion of the MIDI track, I only see two choices from the drop-down menu: "All" or "MPU-41." The MPU-41 has a submenu of channels. "All" does not. On the output of the MIDI track, I see the minimoog selection, but it says "No Channels Activated" next to it and there is no drop-down menu of channels available.

Currently I have the MIDI Track set to ALL for the input and the Minimoog for the output. I have record enabled the MIDI Track, but when I try playing the CMK 49, I still don't get anything....no sound, no signal. I understand the need to assign a port of input for the MIDI track, just like you would assign an input for an audio track, but for the life of me I haven't the faintest notion of what I should be looking for. I've gone through all the available inputs & channels offered to me and still nothing.

Let me stress that I am a beginner at all of us, so any assistance you can offer (preferably explained in Forest-Gump like terms) would be appreciated.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Continued MIDI Issues

It sounds like your computer isn't seeing the MIDI ports of the 001.

Try running C:\Program Files\Digidesign\Drivers\MMERefresh.exe before you start up Pro Tools next time.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-18-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Continued MIDI Issues

WOW!

Yup, that did the trick. I owe you BIG TIME for that. I was going out of my mind trying to figure out what was going on. Now all I have to do get a faster processor...I'm noticing on some of the patches that holding down chords or doing a run for too long sometimes results in redlining my CPU, which results in the sound cutting out. It's not true on all patches, just some.

But thanks again for saving my ass on this. First round of drinks is on me