Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-02-2008, 02:09 PM

Default Neyrinck SoundCode Dolby E

Anyone used this plug-in? How does it compare to Hardware encoders as far as ease of use and deck compatiblity?

http://www.neyrinck.com/Pages/scbd.html
IMDB
LinkedIn
Old 01-02-2008, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Neyrinck SoundCode Dolby E

Hi Eric,
It's a Bwav player not an encoder or decoder. Check out the work flow cart again. The encoders are still in the work flow chain.
Best,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-02-2008, 02:49 PM

Hi,

If you are trying to create a Dolby E stream for layback to a VTR, then it looks like you'll need a Dolby DP600 Program Optimizer to use with this software. Judging from the website, the software will encode Dolby E, Dolby Digital, or Dolby Digital Plus Metadata into a Broadcast Wave file. You then send this to the DP600 over ethernet which will then create the Dolby E file which you can then import back into Pro Tools and then lay back to your VTR. If you are trying to create Dolby E streams for layback, you might consider just getting the Dolby E hardware Encoders and Decoders (DP571, DP572), since the DP600's MSRP is about $20,000. The DP600 seems targeted for Broadcasters who are file based.

-CCH
Old 01-02-2008, 04:43 PM

Doh! Lrn2Read! So, this is just "prepping" the file for the actual Dolby E encoder? (the DP600). Would a DP571 be sufficient? Ah well, back to the web for more info. on this. Thanks for the reply!
IMDB
LinkedIn
Old 01-02-2008, 05:11 PM

It's ok--lots of us have made this mistake--wishful thinking that there was a plugin alternative to the Dolby hardware.

Philip Perkins
Old 01-02-2008, 05:39 PM

Just out of curiosity.

A client of mine needs Dolby E encoding for a 26 eps show. I think I can buy the encoder/decoder and bill it back to them. Would it be possible for me to encode at my studio and send them an OMF or aaf with the encoded Dolby e stream and have them lay it back from an avid onto a digibeta just like a normal aes audio stream?

In addition, would anyone be interested in cheap Dolby e encoding after I get the hardware? I'm thinking 1/3 of what Dolby charges. I'd just feel stupid having the units here and not using them until next year.

Best,
Brandon
S6 M10 24 fader
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-02-2008, 05:40 PM

Just out of curiosity.

A client of mine needs Dolby E encoding for a 26 eps show. I think I can buy the encoder/decoder and bill it back to them. Would it be possible for me to encode at my studio and send them an OMF or aaf with the encoded Dolby e stream and have them lay it back from an avid onto a digibeta just like a normal aes audio stream?

In addition, would anyone be interested in cheap Dolby e encoding after I get the hardware? I'm thinking 1/3 of what Dolby charges. I'd just feel stupid having the units here and not using them until next year.

Best,
Brandon
S6 M10 24 fader
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-02-2008, 05:55 PM

Hi,

Yes, it looks like the Neyrinck software is a bridge between Pro Tools and the DP600. You will need the DP571 to encode your audio into Dolby E with whatever metadata your project requires. You will also need the DP572 decoder to verify that the Dolby E off of tape decodes properly and in sync. If you are doing laybacks at 23.98, or 24 fps with a tri-level reference, then you'll need a Dolby DP579 Dolby E tri-level sync interface. Aahh, sweet sweet Dolby E.

-CCH
Old 01-02-2008, 06:35 PM

Hi Brandon,

This thread talks about recording a Dolby E stream back into Pro Tools.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...5&Main=1170078

I haven't tried it yet, but it should work as long as you don't use the dithered mixer and you don't record it in at 16 bit, provided you are encoding an eight channel Dolby E stream. The Dolby E stream has a 20 bit payload for Dolby E encoding of up to eight channels. A 16 bit Dolby E encoding only allows up to 6 channels. It would be ideal to just layback your Dolby E to a digibeta yourself so you can check sync and qc it.

I would be afraid to send an omf file to a facility and hope that they do everything right during the layback. It should work as long they don't try and cut or alter the audio in any way. I don't know enough about the Avid to say what it will do to the audio in the OMF, or if some kind of Avid dither exists. Also, if picture start occurs somewhere else in the timeline than you expected, then they'll have to move your stream around and hopefully they would place it a frame advanced toward the head (provided that the specs call for in sync decoding - Dolby E takes one frame to encode, and one frame to decode). However, there is no way to know if the Dolby E stream is layed back correctly unless they have a decoder. Maybe someone else here has tried this and is more savvy about the Avid and its ways.

Its a great idea though, Dolby E was designed for this kind of thing.

From the looks of the forum lately, I think there is an emerging market for affordable Dolby E encoding.

-CCH