Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2017, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Enough of Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
.. so you can do everything in pro tools ..
Except perhaps record midi in time.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Mods that need to pass it onto super mods that need to pass it onto ultra mods that need to pass it onto R&D's secretary so that he can book a conference room with delicious sandwiches so that they can all stand around and talk about the latest developments in their share prices and Frank's funny weekend away in the Hampton's
Old 02-28-2017, 11:12 PM

In the Reaper forums the developers do participate occasionally, and sometimes (not often) respond directly to a feature request. It is an amazing contrast to what happens with Avid. I can't speak to what's happening in other forums.

During the last several years Avid has done little more than screw up their code and give us Cloud collaboration. They finally added Freeze and a couple of simple clip capabilities that have existed in many DAWs for many years.

I bought Reaper a few months ago, and since then Reaper has added a solid notation editor, sub-projects (not in PT), a web based remote control interface, and a whole slew of other features. All very solid and well designed features that work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Omg surely you jest
Old 03-01-2017, 12:52 AM

I too have mostly jumped ship to Reaper. Haven't had any issues at all other than my learning curve. And I have used Avid since it's earliest days when I was a beta tester before it even came out. Too many issues and problems all the time. Having said that, when it does work, its awesome. However it's pretty rare that it works flawlessly. A real shame to see this company go the way it has.....
Old 03-01-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
i work with several composers and they use ONLY Pro Tools for composing and do not have any gripes or issues .. everyone of them and every system is different .. so you can do everything in pro tools .. and you can have a solid reliable system .. just need to Stop chasing the Jones' (updating) when you get a system that works for you ..

but some like midi in logic, other in cubase, VEP, etc .. to each his own ..

i try my best to work only in pro tools, but will open cubase or reaper or logic when i need some specific ..

but it really depends on the demands of your workflow, are you playing in a lot of music or just drawing in notes, or, or, or .. lots of variables ..

cheers john

So True. If you find a version that works stay there!

Obviously new features are appealing, but they always come with new bugs and problems.

I learned about this the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2017, 01:52 PM

It's not been stable for me for years. Constantly plagued by video engine stops, access error violations, crashes when dragging in audio clips and a buggy Mbox 3 Pro driver that causes incessant audio drop outs. It's probably due to working on a PC, will buy a Mac one day.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
This past week I've been mixing some live recordings for a TV program and opted to do it in Reaper rather than Pro Tools 12. It has been delightful. The WT-Imperial theme for it looks magnificent and is extremely function. It has VCA faders, and group tracks, and the ability to create preset FX chains, and ADC ping functionality in the outboard insert plugin. It is insanely easy to print effects in place as a new take. Aux sends are literally a case of clicking on the send-from channel and dragging to the send-to channel. You can render your mix and all your stems simply by shift+clicking on the appropriate channels in the mixer, then selecting render and choosing "Mix + Stems". Bam! Done. Complete with visible output meters for all of those channels so you can see if any of them clipped during render. It has been a bloody revelation
I dig the ReaPack extension manager that downloads and manages all of the user created scripts. Users are making some powerful stuff, and in some cases, I've asked a question and had a script written for me. You can't beat that.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 03-01-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
I dig the ReaPack extension manager that downloads and manages all of the user created scripts. Users are making some powerful stuff, and in some cases, I've asked a question and had a script written for me. You can't beat that.

tg

I was eyeing that off this morning actually. I need to download it I think. The boss man at the studio I work for has purchased 9 Dell 990 i7 desktops for rehearsal rooms and other admin stuff. I do think I will need to install reamote and a bunch of plugins on all of them and see what kind of crazy session I can construct in Reaper using them all for CPU power over the network.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:35 PM

I just bought presonus studio one 3 the same i would have payed for the Protools support to get bug fixes and upgrades and I also have logic Pro x. I've spent more money upgrading my studio i could have bought the plan But its principles behind it. I know what is a software update/firmware to a complete program over haul. enough of me expressing my disappointments on to better things
Old 03-08-2017, 02:45 PM

quick question: which other DAW offers the same speedy audio editing workflow as pro tools?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk