Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-18-2003, 11:14 PM

Default External FX via SPDIF

Hi.

I have a Lexicon MPX 1 that I want to use with my 001 on SPDIF connections. I have not had any luck trying to match it up and get the routing right inside 001 without some foul digital feedback.

Uses include the obvious send & return path, but I would also like to make sure that I can record the return to a new track in a bounce situation, so I'd need that routing/setup as well.

If I have read something in the manual, it just hasn't made sense to my feeble mind yet.

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:07 AM

Default Re: External FX via SPDIF

Hi, i am guessing you are using both SPDIF in and out.... 001 is the master clock, and the MPX is set to sync to incoming digital signal, and both sample rates, of the 001 and MPX1 are the same?

If yes to all of the above, maybe a bad cable?
Have you tried switching cables?

hope this helps

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 01-19-2003, 01:14 AM

Make an Aux-track and get the INsound from the S/PDIF and if you need to record it just let it go to a bus insted, get the sound ínto the new track and get the input from the bus - record enable.

(Try to go PRE on your first send to S/PDIF)

If you don´t get it I can mail you the template?
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 01-19-2003, 01:17 AM

Hi, i am guessing you are using both SPDIF in and out.... 001 is the master clock, and the MPX is set to sync to incoming digital signal, and both sample rates, of the 001 and MPX1 are the same?

If yes to all of the above, maybe a bad cable?
Have you tried switching cables?

hope this helps

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 01-19-2003, 03:03 AM

Here is an other one...

...start your outboard gear, before you start up your computer.

The cables for RCA S/PDIF is supposed to be 75 Ohm.

Lower your Digitalinput gain.
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Old 01-19-2003, 05:51 PM

Hi Tapkae,

I hope you've succesfully sorted out the audio paths. I use a MPX 500, mostly for reverb, as an insert effect on an Aux Track.

It may also interest you to know you can recall patch names (FX settings) on your MPX 1 from the Program Change window within Pro Tools over MIDI.

The beauty of this is the effects catagories may be browsed via a drop-down menu, and effects viewed as proper names. The chosen effect is automatically saved and reloaded as part of each Pro Tools session, just as if your effects unit was just another plug-in. You can also 'drawn' in automation of effect parameters too.

Please read up on my "MPX 500" instructions (the principle being the same as your MPX 1) from here .

And you can download the OMS Patch Name Document specifc to your MPX 1 from here .

Best of luck, and any probs, let me know.

Phil
Old 01-19-2003, 06:59 PM

GW. I like the idea of getting some visual cues. A template would be great. Even a screenshot with a few notes attached would be nice.

I got an analog send and SPDIF return working okay. Still don't quite get the all SPDIF routing yet. Cables are fine, the MPX is set to EXT clock/Digital in.

Is all this setup and routing to be done on the mix window, or is there some I/O routing configuration work needed?

thanks

e
Old 01-20-2003, 02:20 AM

Tapkae,
sounds like you have it set wrong in your sends??
excuse me for asking but if you have it set in as a send and insert, it will do the feedback thing seriously nasty, ???

hope this helps or feel free to call me stupid,

AJ
Old 01-20-2003, 09:08 AM

Tapkea,
I´ve sent you a template-session, let´s hope it works. Don´t forget to check Engine: ADAT/uncheck Mirror/DA-30. Clock: Internal.
The file is 24/44.1/Wav [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .

Good luck
Old 01-20-2003, 11:21 AM

Before my head just about blew up trying this stuff out, I'm pretty sure I had toggled the Mirroring off, set the MPX to digi inputs/ext clock, and a whole host of other things.

Maybe I am not establishing the mix window settings right? Lets say I have an aux track that has several sends from tracks and I for some reason want to filter a whole batch with some goofy LFO based sweep as an insert... I need to bus my sends to that aux track. Then? (help me here...) And what does that get me? Only an effected return? Can I record that back to tracks so I can edit or process it, or is it just a feed to the main mix?

Okay, here's another. After getting bugged that that process was not too clear, I sought to try an analog insert on an aux track. I chose 7/8 as the path. I saw level getting to my MPX, but heard none coming back. Its all supposed to come and go on the same aux track, right? I'm getting my busses and interfaces confused I guess, or more specifically what to do with them.

(different issue:)

I might also need to find out some things about the I/O setup menu. I would specifically like to make it so that my 8 track-at-once recordings come up as 8 tracks in this order: Analog 3-8, Mic 1-2. That way I can get my drums in on the 6 channels on back, and the bass and guitar on the front, all in that order, time after time.

GW: how did you send that file? My mail is either choking on it or my server is down or something. No sign of that around here.

I'll keep messing with this. I swear, the manual hasn't been much help. I also have an ad in town here for any PT help that can be offered, so I hope I don't bug ya too much. Anyone from San Diego here?