Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2009, 04:41 AM

Default Which way to go? HD-2 up to 3? or?? (plugs)?

So should I go up to HD-3? Or Should I stay at HD-2 and get a UAD-2 card?

Currently other than the standard Digi-Rack offerings I have the Waves Platinum bundle (NATIVE). I am more than likely buying the Waves CLA bundle next week (TDM). I am also considering the Waves SSL Bundle TDM but currently I am testing a SSL DUENDE v.2 . The Digi SMACK and BF Fairchild I also plan to purchase very soon.

When I was using Nuendo/RME/UAD1 set up I really liked the LA2A,1176 emu's The BF versions are okay but do not compare to me with UAD versions.

McDSP plug-ins I am still demoing and like the Soundtoys stuff a lot!!

My setup at present:
Mac G5 DP 2.0, 5GB RAM ,PT 7.4 HD-2 accel. Digi-192
Old 09-30-2009, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Which way to go? HD-2 up to 3? or?? (plugs)?

Not knowing anything about what you're doing, how much processing you use, if you're mixing surround, etc....I don't think we can truly make an accurate assessment as what to do or where to go. I will say this---- an HD2 Accel is the minimum that anyone should have if they are mixing music. Personally, I can't get by on an HD2 Accel as I do need a lot of processing (I work with large-scale concerts and recordings). There's another "option" that might work----but what is your realistic budget?
Old 09-30-2009, 05:59 AM

I agree with Brad, if you are going to go HD its needs to be a 2 minimum, if not for processing, then for maximum voice count.

I have an HD 3 and I mainly use the cards for my time based effects, as usually they always take up the most DSP, and the ones that I choose to use are mainly TDM onlys. Yet to find native replacements for some of these.

Compression and EQ I don't even bother with putting them on the cards anymore, my computer is far powerful enough to deal with that minimal processing.

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 09-30-2009, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I am primarily doing stereo recording and mixing of music. It's good to diversify I am sure and perhaps one day soon I will get into 5.1 surround as well. But today it's tracking and mixing. Everything from Rock and Jazz bands, Latin regional and Latin Pop to Pop,R&B,Electronica and Hip Hop. Being that it's not the best time to invest heavily in new PCIe cards I have gone the used PCI route. I can get a pre-owned PCI(x) Accel card from $1000 to $1800. I recently did an ITB label mix for a Pop/R&B singer. The session was at 48k with a very large track count and it darn near brought my HD-2 to the wall.

I'd like to build up the system with the idea I will be doing everything In the box! Although I still use an analog console and outboard from time to time at mix.

I really want to concentrate on getting great ITB mixes as I know how to do that with a console. I feel it's time to get towards being great ITB engineer too.

Thanks all.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:39 PM

One of the main words of advise about ITB mixing is that you have to take your head out of the space of analogue mixing. It's REALLY not the same at all.

Just really remember the key to a great mix in the box is really great editing. As a mixer you are always having to edit. As engineers we are becoming more of a one stop shop. I'm always fixing drums that I do not record to make everything sound radio ready, and if that means i replace everything but a hi hat then so be it.

Clients only really care about the end product, and they just want it to sound like its ready for radio, and they really don't care about how you get there. Make sure you invest in really great sample libraries for drums!

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 09-30-2009, 04:53 PM

I can't get by without a HD Accel 3. I do a lot of 24-64 tracks usually, and I use both RTAS and TDM plugs. I used to have HD Accel 2 and UA card, but changed to go HD 3. I sometimes run out of processing power with both my CPU and TDM cards. One unfortunate thing about TDM is that not all plugins work with all TDM chipsets. So you might have one chip using only half of it's chip potential, another chip that is not being used at all, and cannot be used for the particular plugin you want, etc... I wish Digi would fix that type of thing. Thus this gives you less use for your Accel 3 system, therefore, more cards the better.