Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2020, 04:45 PM

Default Akai MPCX Software w/ HD Interfaces

Hey Gang,

In theory, is it possible to get Akai MPCX software to load the HD Driver?
The Akai software has worked well with 5 other interfaces. But when I try my Omni I get "Error Opening Device Driver". Is it a "no go" for software such as this (because the Omni works fine with Nuendo) or am I doing something wrong? I've tried both TB and PCIe. Also, I use an Asus Prime II running Windows 10 if that matters.

Thanks for any suggestions,
-mike
Old 04-04-2020, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Akai MPCX Software w/ HD Interfaces

How is the OMNI connected? Is Windows using the OMNI(or card) as its "Default Playback Device"(if yes, then change that to the on-board sound card and try again).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-04-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
How is the OMNI connected? Is Windows using the OMNI(or card) as its "Default Playback Device"(if yes, then change that to the on-board sound card and try again).
Hey Albee, let me make sure we're on the same page... as you know Windows cannot be set to Avid drivers, so this is not an issue. Or am I misunderstanding?
Old 04-04-2020, 12:22 PM

I'm referring to the situation where Windows takes control of the interface, so no other program(including Pro Tools) can access the hardware. I wasn't sure if you were aware of that, or if it matters on HDN or HDX. Sadly, I know zip about MPCX Software. My experience with Akai has not been very good here. I bought an Akai Advance 61 with their VIP software that is supposed to all opening other VI's inside the VIP plugin for total control from the keyboard, but it doesn't work very well(can't load several of my VI's) and causes serious midi glitches on some others. I've had to resort to connecting a midi cable and not running the Akai software at all. Have you checked if Akai has a forum for users with problems?

Old 04-04-2020, 10:09 PM

Man Albee, thanks for the info. You answered two more questions I had. Your gonna laugh but I have a 61 I haven't even opened yet. I got so frustrated with the NI Maschine sequencer but loved the Komplete Kontrol platform, that on a whim I got the MPCX. The sales guy assured that VIP would load all my Maschine Expasions so well, I wouldn't even miss it. So have you tried VIP lately? The updates are supposed to be much better. And yes, I have posts on the Akai forum and Gear Slutz.. 0 replies on both, and only you on this one. So I guess my problem is very unique. Anyway I'll keep experimenting and again, thanx for the info.

mike
Old 04-05-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike841 View Post
Man Albee, thanks for the info. You answered two more questions I had. Your gonna laugh but I have a 61 I haven't even opened yet. I got so frustrated with the NI Maschine sequencer but loved the Komplete Kontrol platform, that on a whim I got the MPCX. The sales guy assured that VIP would load all my Maschine Expasions so well, I wouldn't even miss it. So have you tried VIP lately? The updates are supposed to be much better. And yes, I have posts on the Akai forum and Gear Slutz.. 0 replies on both, and only you on this one. So I guess my problem is very unique. Anyway I'll keep experimenting and again, thanx for the info.

mike
You may be fine with the Maschine stuff(you'll just have to try it) My whole experience with it is fresh as I only got the keyboard last month(I bought the last one from a closeout from Alto Music buying all the stock from Akai). I'm guessing that Akai may have a new line coming out(but I got a smoking deal). The specific issues I had were VI's that VIP would not find(MiniGrand and DB-33 get a lot of use here). And using the keyboard over USB to trigger MiniGrand by itself, if I played any harder than medium(like velocity of 80-90), the piano notes would choke. When using the keyboard over a midi cable to the interface, it plays MiniGrand perfectly. I hope you can make it all work!!!

Old 04-05-2020, 10:05 AM

Again something I didn't think about, It's been so long since I used a 5 pin, I forget that they may be better then USB in some cases. Will keep that in mind.

Thanks-a-bunch bro.

mike
Old 04-06-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike841 View Post
Again something I didn't think about, It's been so long since I used a 5 pin, I forget that they may be better then USB in some cases. Will keep that in mind.

Thanks-a-bunch bro.

mike
In this case, you can actually use both connections. Since the keyboard is bus-powered(I didn't buy the optional power supply), I still have the USB cable connected, I just use the midi input path in Midi Studio setup. I can easily ALSO have the USB connection available for times when I might want to use the VIP plugin(assuming my keyboard chops ever become good enough to suck)