Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-30-2017, 11:27 AM

Default Looking for codec troubleshooting help

We have several systems. A couple are still on PS 10.8.5 with PT 10.3.10.
Some are Sierra OS with PT 12 HD (I believe one is 12.4, and the other is 12.5). There are a few systems at various points of inbetween. Point being, the issue is occuring across different OS and PT versions.

We receive videos from our clients in various codecs. ProRes, H264, DnX, etc. We generally have the least amount of problems with the DnX. But occasionally, we have ProRes and h264 videos that work on some systems and not others. Generally, when they don't work, we get the missing codec error from PT. These videos will open on MPEG streamclip or Quicktime on the same system, but pro tools just doesn't like them. Take the same video to another system (sometimes even 2 systems that are the same OS/PT version) and it works fine. Take a different video that is the same codec, and it works fine on a system that has problems with other videos that tare the same codec. Take a pro res and convert it to h264, and it works.

I have run all of the codec installers and updates for them. It really seems to have no rhyme or reason as to why some videos work on some systems and not others.

Anyone run into anything similar? Or have any insight as to why this is happening?
Old 10-30-2017, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Looking for codec troubleshooting help

I find that it's usually a double issue- it has to work for that version of PT, AND it has work for that video hardware. For PT10 and PT12 compatibility, ProRes Proxy is pretty good. And as I've mentioned elsewhere on this list, Adobe Media Encoder is a detailed and very fast way to remux videos. Make a preset that works on all systems, and use that as a global ingest. Once you use AME, you'll never use Quicktime again...
Old 10-30-2017, 01:22 PM

I can't speak to all the codecs, but I do know that H.264 can have varying results, and Avid even says so in one of the knowledge base articles on using videos in Pro Tools. What was recommended to me by some here, and what I've started doing, is to convert anything I get to DNxHD, which seems to work best. To make the conversion I use the Brorsoft Video Converter. But there are others out there as well. All I can tell you is that since I started doing that, I've not had any issues running videos in PT when I'm working on a score.

Why there are issues...I have no idea. Others here are way more knowledgeable than I on that front!

Old 10-30-2017, 02:07 PM

MP4 and AVCHD are both h264 variants. The problem with h264 is the compression that's used, intra-frame coding (Google is your friend here) and that some sources such as phones use a variable frame rate. Playing back h264 is processor intensive taking resources away from the CPU or GPU. Also it causes problems when working to picture, especially in PT, and it's a real pain to try and sync fx etc. When using h264 I do a DNxHD 36 working copy. Never had a problem with one of those.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n