Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 11-15-2017, 11:16 PM

Default Is there a comprehensive, help with your first recording to output in a viable format

I'm new to pro tools, have version 7 and an m box, muddling my way through it, got it kind of working but it's iffie. I need a go to resource that will guide me through making a simple recording, then have it's output saved to a wav file or anything usable, that sounds like the same thing I just recorded on it. I managed to do a few things on it, such as getting the something recorded, but when I check the folder the file is at, a bunch of dead ones outputted along with one of the tracks, even though they were a couple that should have outputted together. The volume of the output's is vastly lower then the one that was running through the pro tools earphones/speakers on.

I am trial and error, running through the system, got it to kind of play ball, but back tracking on the numerous options and selections, I get some kind of result through random trying it out. Why it's designed this way will make more sense, but it's absolutely not noob friendly to just dig in and start recording upon. Any direction will help, thank you so much in advance.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Is there a comprehensive, help with your first recording to output in a viable fo

I recommend spending some time on youtube watching tutorials or maybe buy a subscription to Groove 3. There is a lot to learn and this isn't the forum to make that happen. Start by searching youtube for things like "getting started with pro tools", or "how to record in pro tools", or "how to bounce to disk in pro tools"(all without the quotes). Watching it in action is your best/first step

You might also post on your local craigslist and look for a local Pro Tools user and pay for some one on one teaching sessions.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-16-2017, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Is there a comprehensive, help with your first recording to output in a viable fo

Thanks, I started with Youtube, the tutorials kept getting into nuances that aren't necessary at the beginning stage. Simple, record, output, no variations or add on's "having fun with the add on's already", but getting the output correct, combined track, file format's sound volume the same in recording on pro tools as the wav file it produces.

I can add this tidbit, check your pc for heat, mine was absurdly hot, so the software was not performing as designed, that is addressed.

I can record a track through it, but bouncing it to disc, no output, and it's auto save wav files are blank.