Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2019, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools for mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Oh, is it especially well set up for mastering multi-channel stuff or something? I do know a lot of mastering engineers seem to like it, but, again, I am starting to wonder if some of that is just because they don't already have Pro Tools.

How about Wavelab Elements? Anything there that isn't doable in Pro Tools [aside from the DDP authoring]?

Thanks,

mightyduck
correct. Elements is designed for what you seek at a great price. It has some basic audio analysis off line processing PT doesn't have by default like maximum peak and at what time etc but you can do all that in audio suite with a good meter plugin. Other than the cd authoring PT is easier to master in than WE..my opinion only of course..
Old 12-26-2019, 02:31 PM

@JFreak

1.76 + 6.02(n), right? Theoretically, of course. Practically, not so much. : )

I will trade you a dancing unicorn for your 144dB AD converter. : )

And let us not forget about those little bitty quiet sounds in the song, way, way downstairs from the peaks!

And should we not consider the humble little bitty wavelet harmonics that create timbre along with fundamentals peaking?

Should we not feel sorry for those poor little sounds down there struggling for resolution. : ).

Are we not men? Are we Devo?

And Taylor Swift can't rap anyway.

I may be a little off-topic at this point.

Best always,

mightyduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 12-26-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
correct. Elements is designed for what you seek at a great price. It has some basic audio analysis off line processing PT doesn't have by default like maximum peak and at what time etc but you can do all that in audio suite with a good meter plugin. Other than the cd authoring PT is easier to master in than WE..my opinion only of course..
Thanks for the heads up!

Best,

mightyduck
Old 12-28-2019, 09:18 PM

Well.. I just checked all the latest version comparison as V10 has been released which I didn't know about.. and they really make you want to hate elements.. NO offline loudness information for the file, NO EBU compliant functions whatsoever.. basically, worthless for mastering unless you already have your own metering plugins.. which then means.. just use PT anyway.. they removed all the major stuff.. I mean if they make WaveLab pro 1000 tracks and wavelab elements 3 tracks, that's great for stereo music mastering..and sure, they remove 75% of the vst3 plugins included.. all good. but why not include the essential EBU compliant stuff? Complete waste of 100 bucks IMO.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Well.. I just checked all the latest version comparison as V10 has been released which I didn't know about.. and they really make you want to hate elements.. NO offline loudness information for the file, NO EBU compliant functions whatsoever.. basically, worthless for mastering unless you already have your own metering plugins.. which then means.. just use PT anyway.. they removed all the major stuff.. I mean if they make WaveLab pro 1000 tracks and wavelab elements 3 tracks, that's great for stereo music mastering..and sure, they remove 75% of the vst3 plugins included.. all good. but why not include the essential EBU compliant stuff? Complete waste of 100 bucks IMO.
I see. Yeah, I read some Steinberg forum recently with a lot of people posting to the effect that Wavelab was "worthless", or something like that. In fairness, there were some who felt that it was good also, but a lot of people saying "just use your DAW", that kind of thing.

I dunno. Think I'll just start doing some stuff in PT and if I need more I'll get to it then or something. I'm definitely interested in knowing what's out there, though. Too bad about Audiofile Engineering. Hopefully they can get it back together.

Best,

mightyduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 12-29-2019 at 02:36 PM.