Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 05-17-2020, 08:58 AM

Default Dear Avid, I am an ultimate user but this 32 channel limit!

I'm done after my year is up. I gave digidesign / avid a great bittersweet 20 years. But it's too many competitors now playing in your field. And the money I'm paying for ultimate to STILL be stuck at 32 channels of I/O after decades of this foolishness and not able to do ext FX routing to whatever track I choose.

Yeah I'm judging with my cash. I'm tired of compromising. Thanks for all the years. But, I have a huge I/O setup and I'm exiting out the door.

Peace.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2020, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Dear Avid, I am an ultimate user but this 32 channel limit!

Then you must also realise that the huge i/o setup that you had 20 years ago had DigiDesign logo on the hardware? You can have that huge i/o setup today with Avid logo.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:35 AM

limitation on purpose is chicanery
Old 05-17-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyg View Post
limitation on purpose is chicanery
EXACTLY.

This madness has to come too an end. It's downright pitiful and disgusting.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:41 PM

I use Ultimate and I can get 64 channels into my system with no Avid hardware except the HD|Native Thunderbolt box.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 05-17-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
I use Ultimate and I can get 64 channels into my system with no Avid hardware except the HD|Native Thunderbolt box.
JCBigler, unless I am severely mistaken the OP is using Ultimate Software only. Hence the 32 physical IO limit. But I also echo JFreak's comment that there are solution if you want to stay with ProTools to have a higher physical IO count (aka HDX). Is it the most economical solution? That is a hard question to answer, it sounds like to me though that staying with ProTools is something you can give up. If so then HDX very likely isn't a good solution for you because of the up front cost for HDX hardware.

All of that said I think it has been pretty obvious that AVID/ProTools aren't planning on opening up the IO limit of HD Ultimate anytime soon because they don't want to make HDX seem obsolete. And while I do agree it would be nice to have an IO limit that is only restricted by the limits of the computer we are running I have a feeling the way ProTools's code is written that would be an absolutely unfeasible change to attempt to make. That might as well re-write the code from the ground of if they were to do that, but this is only speculation on my part (I am not a software developer).
Old 05-17-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post

It surely isn't hard to see why some people find it increasingly hard to stick with Pro Tools? You can pipe 128 channels of Dante into Ultimate if you fancy spending $12000 on hardware and software. Or, you can do it for $1200 with a Rednet PCIe card and a reaper license. Avid's inability to rationalise modern native processing power, DSP voice limitations, and the abundance of options for modern audio connectivity in 2020 is probably why so many people have headed for the door. The HD|Native card is really only a solution to one problem in that sense, whilst creating so many more in the process.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:49 PM

You’re optimistic enough to think it’s a code problem? I don’t think so. Avid has a tradition in limiting inputs and track counts. If you’re old enough to remember LE times there has been a 32 tracks limit, you were limited to LE hardware etc. Now you have these voice packs in Ultimate.
They once told me the 32 I/O limit had something to do with the ASIO license from Steinberg. But I can’t believe that either.
They want to guide you to their own hardware with these limitations. It’s as simple as that I guess.

Best

Mark
Old 05-17-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ziebarth View Post
You’re optimistic enough to think it’s a code problem? I don’t think so. Avid has a tradition in limiting inputs and track counts. If you’re old enough to remember LE times there has been a 32 tracks limit, you were limited to LE hardware etc. Now you have these voice packs in Ultimate.
They once told me the 32 I/O limit had something to do with the ASIO license from Steinberg. But I can’t believe that either.
They want to guide you to their own hardware with these limitations. It’s as simple as that I guess.

Best

Mark
Oh I remember then. Don't even want that in my brain anymore. Ohh the madness. Lol.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:32 PM

Maybe it's like the record companies. They resisted going all-in on streaming services for years out of fear that it would cannibalize physical and a la carte downloads from iTunes.

Then, one day, digital streaming was more than 50% of their income. It no longer made any business sense to prioritize physical.

If they haven't already, I assume that Avid will reach the same pivot point and embrace Pro Tools as a platform/service that scales horizontally with the user's needs without regard to physical constraints. They are already doing that on the sales side with subscriptions, at least.