Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2003, 12:38 AM

Default BAD CORE CARDS?

I have been having problems with a odd sound occuring randmomly while I am using pro tools. (usually while mixing with a client) It sounds like a clocking problem but after further invetstigation and troubleshooting I think it might be the cards. The sound has developed from a low pitch out of phase sound to complete distortion as if I was using a lo-fi plug in.This usually occurs on the o/p of my 3rd or 4th 192. Is it possible for the cards to corrupt?

Digi- Do you think it would be in my best interest to have a spare card around in case this happens again? These cards arent cheap and this doesnt seem like something to just have "lieing" around for an emergency.

Also, a little off the topic here, I am thinking of sending the cards in and buying three more with a expansion chass. How much will this run me and do you think this is in my best interest? I run a high volume recording studio and I cant have this happening when I have to mix big projects every day.

and how much will it cost me to fix the cards? I think they still might be in warrantee.

Littel confused and at a loss for time right now.
Thanks for any help.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:42 AM

Default Re: BAD CORE CARDS?

also, what is the digi preferred customer card about?
and how do I sign up?
Old 08-05-2003, 02:04 PM
Avid

Hello,

It could be a faulty interface cable as well. Do you have the 3rd and 4th interface connected to the same card from one DigiLink cable? You may want to try swapping the interface cable from the Core card to the Process card to see if the problem follows the cable. Also, try swapping out the loop sync BNC cables going to and from those interfaces.

If the problem persists you can setup an RA by contacting tech support at 650-731-6100. If the system is in warranty there will be no charge to repair the card or cable.

If you would like information about our premium support contracts contact our Presales department:

http://www.digidesign.com/aboutus/contact/

Mike
Old 08-05-2003, 07:59 PM

Thanks, I ran tests on all the cards individually and three of the four failed. Even though I have heard the digi card test is not foolproof (I actually ran the test's 10 times and a couple times they did pass [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) I removed each card one by one and tested them alone.Every one failed, except # 4
I guess I'm the first kid on the block to have this problem. wouldn't be the first time for that [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
So I am sending them back to sweetwater/digi and am having 3 new/refurbished dsp cards sent to me for 350 ea. Not a bad deal.....only thing that sucks is my warantee expired two days ago! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Wouldnt be the first time thats happened either.

I have come to this conclusion,

1. when software and computers takes a dive, your screwed.

and

2. if they say it comes with a 1 year warantee, expect problems after one year.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:35 PM

Hold on! I think it would be pretty extraordinary for three cards to go belly up at once, unless you also have a serious computer problem. Do you have another computer you could use to test these cards?

Also, I've never tried this, but I'm not sure you can test Mix Farm cards without them being hooked up properly to a core card, can you?

Lee Blaske
Old 08-05-2003, 10:46 PM

you know, I have been thinking the same thing. I am really worried that I will receive the new cards tomorrow, swap them out and the problem will still be there. If it is, I havent got a clue what to check next.
Could it be the 192's? This doesnt sound like a problem from that. It sounds internal if that makes sense.To me (and the digidesign rep) it seems like everything is leaning towards the cards since two of them work perfectly but as soon as I put in the third in, it crokes.
Also, It also runs out of voices very fast. Even when I increase the playback engine's dsp to 2, I still can't get enough voices. (even for just 20-25 mono tracks @ 44.1) Also, does using outputs use up dsp? I have 60 o/p but since I have removed the cards, I am only allowed 16 o/p. and if I attempt to use all 16 o/p it tells me I do not have enough dsp? even if I remove all my plugins. I still get the same message.
please, dont scare me, I have a big band tomorrow and it is very hard to cancel on 25 people [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
either that...or I might have to go back to the adats for a day.......KILL ME.