Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-10-2009, 10:32 AM

Default Output to a Buss or send to a buss

probably a pretty elementary question- when would it be more advatageous to keep the tracks output to analog1/2 and take a send to a buss, rather than just sending the output to a buss?

or would take a send while keeping the 1/2 out be akin to duplicating a track and using one "dry" and treating the other?

sometimes I think I make more work for myself....

and a pleasant Good Friday to you all!
Old 04-10-2009, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Output to a Buss or send to a buss

There should be more knowleageable responses to this than mine.

But, for me, I use Sends to bus delays and reverbs. Output to a bus/Aux track in order to group multiple tracks (like drums). Output all your drum tracks to one Aux track labelled "Drums". Then you have one channel/fader for drums..... then use a Send to reverb/delay.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven62 View Post
There should be more knowleageable responses to this than mine.

But, for me, I use Sends to bus delays and reverbs. Output to a bus/Aux track in order to group multiple tracks (like drums). Output all your drum tracks to one Aux track labelled "Drums". Then you have one channel/fader for drums..... then use a Send to reverb/delay.
Snap. I'll also use Ouput bus/aux to bounce tracks.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:26 PM

I will almost always leave the drums assigned to L/R and add aux sends to feed a stereo bus with a compressor(choose wisely to avoid latency induced comb filtering). Both BF76 and the Waves SSL compressor work great for this.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-10-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I will almost always leave the drums assigned to L/R and add aux sends to feed a stereo bus with a compressor(choose wisely to avoid latency induced comb filtering). Both BF76 and the Waves SSL compressor work great for this.

Hmmm... I'm a bit drowsy right now but I want to make sure I understand...

You are creating a stereo (or two mono) AUX channels and sending the drum signal to them, then compressing it? then blending the two at the master?

I'll do this for delay, reverb, etc... but have never thought to use the same technique for compression.

What is the benefit of going this route? (I'll be trying this out right after a nap).

MANY thanks!

Peace!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 04-11-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Hmmm... I'm a bit drowsy right now but I want to make sure I understand...

You are creating a stereo (or two mono) AUX channels and sending the drum signal to them, then compressing it? then blending the two at the master?

I'll do this for delay, reverb, etc... but have never thought to use the same technique for compression.

What is the benefit of going this route? (I'll be trying this out right after a nap).

MANY thanks!

Peace!
Done correctly, parallel compression adds 'body' to the sound without squashing the life out of the dynamics.

To return to the original post. One way to look at it is to use sends when you want to vary the amount of 'processing' undertaken on the audio by adjusting the sends level.

Bussing track outputs is more appropriate when you're applying processing uniformly and globally.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg