Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2016, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Can't import audio (Assertion Error Line 559) with Pro Tools 11 on El Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzybossa View Post
I'm on 10.11.5 with Pro Tools 11.3.1 - currently getting the attached message when trying to import audio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzybossa View Post
Have drag and dropped. Pro tools went a bit weird, not responding to S and Mutes - semi freezing. Re booted and S and Ms seem to be ok for now.
Again - the result of running PT11 in an OSX that isn't and will never be supported by Avid. So don't be surprised you're having these issues. Also if you're trying to import off a drive that's not formatted to a native Mac format you'll get error messages somewhat like this.

QAPLA!
Old 08-29-2016, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Can't import audio (Assertion Error Line 559) with Pro Tools 11 on El Capitan

I have the same problem. When I drag and drop, the audio gets slow. The tempo is down a little bit. Strange!
Old 08-29-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aernout_NL View Post
I have the same problem. When I drag and drop, the audio gets slow. The tempo is down a little bit. Strange!
System details please? Impossible to help without that info as it could be anything. Please read and follow the 'help us to help you' that's at the top of every page.

QAPLA!
Old 09-25-2016, 04:04 PM

Wow, this issue, and PT's history of poor support of older software on newer systems REALLY gets me angry. If it was a +5yr old program running on a brand new system, I'd understand. But there should be at least some expectation that you get a good few years worth of current system support for the money you paid.

I have never had any issue nearly this bad with any of my other software. Abelton Live 9 have released an update for full compatibility with OSX 10.11 (not that I noticed any issues) and it was released in March 2013 (6 months before PT11). Also Live 8 which was released in 2009 and last upgraded in 2013 still seems to work fine. Yet this kind of near program breaking issue, if memory serves me correctly, seems to occur with almost every major upgrade of OSX and PT.

PT 11 was also released in 2013 and only 26 months later the current system software is no longer supported?!? Avid just throw their hands up in the air, tell us "it's not our fault" and just walk away, casually calling over their shoulder that "if you'd like to give us some more money in monthly payments we have a solution."

How many hours worth of work do you think it would take one of their coders to fix this issue and release a patch?

Last edited by MattyEss; 09-25-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyEss View Post
Wow, this issue, and PT's history of poor support of older software on newer systems REALLY gets me angry. If it was a +5yr old program running on a brand new system, I'd understand. But there should be at least some expectation that you get a good few years worth of current system support for the money you paid.

I have never had any issue nearly this bad with any of my other software. Abelton Live 9 have released an update for full compatibility with OSX 10.11 (not that I noticed any issues) and it was released in March 2013 (6 months before PT11). Also Live 8 which was released in 2009 and last upgraded in 2013 still seems to work fine. Yet this kind of near program breaking issue, if memory serves me correctly, seems to occur with almost every major upgrade of OSX and PT.

PT 11 was also released in 2013 and only 26 months later the current system software is no longer supported?!? Avid just throw their hands up in the air, tell us "it's not our fault" and just walk away, casually calling over their shoulder that "if you'd like to give us some more money in monthly payments we have a solution."

How many hours worth of work do you think it would take one of their coders to fix this issue and release a patch?
To be fair you can't totally lay the blame on Avid for some of this as Apple has a history of breaking tings that used to previously work just fine. But also you have to put yourself in Avid's shoes and see that there's no real reason to spend development dollars on an old program like PT11 especially when PT12 is available and that's where Avid wants to place it's eggs in a basket. A developer can't be expected to support a program forever. Also a developer can't be expected to support a program on the myriad systems that are out there.

As to how many hours would it take - it ain't that simple. Say a programmer or programmers take the time to try and fix this issue. They then have to test it and see what else might have broken in the process of fixing just one issue. You don't like the way Avid is doing this then go to another daw and don't come here and bitch about PT - it's a waste of time and energy. You appear to have no issues with Ableton - so use that as your daw. Or use another daw.

QAPLA!
Old 09-25-2016, 05:57 PM

I don't expect support forever. But just over 2yrs seems pretty short.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Not really. Sometimes a company just has to look hard at where the bucks are being spent and make hard decisions. That and wherever the programming is being done off-shore the exchange rate is probably taking things down the tube.

QAPLA!
Old 09-26-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Stay on an *approved* OS! I

ProTools 11 was supported through THREE iterations of Mac OS (10.8, 10.9, 10.10), at some point they can't continue to support legacy software on every OS that Apple comes out with. If you want your system to work, pay attention to the compatibility grid!!

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 09-27-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Stay on an *approved* OS! I

ProTools 11 was supported through THREE iterations of Mac OS (10.8, 10.9, 10.10), at some point they can't continue to support legacy software on every OS that Apple comes out with. If you want your system to work, pay attention to the compatibility grid!!

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart
Look this is getting way off topic and I know there is no way to convince you die-hard Avid lovers that probably make a decent amount of cash using PT and consider paying upgrade costs and annual subscriptions totally acceptable.

But before the mods go ahead and delete the last 5 posts, I just want to say that yes, it did live through as you say "THREE iterations", but it was released 2 months before 10.9 was released (which Avid had to have known was coming), and most would have bought it after 10.9 was released, so it really only lived through 2, and regardless of whether you want to call it 2 or 3 iterations it is still less than 2.5yrs.

If there was anything else in my studio, software or gear, that I paid $420 for that in under 2.5 years of its release would simply lose one of its MAJOR functions if used with current system, I'd be equally mad.

Last edited by MattyEss; 09-27-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Look this is getting way off topic and I know there is no way to convince you die-hard Avid lovers that probably make a decent amount of cash using PT and consider paying upgrade costs and annual subscriptions totally acceptable.

But before the mods go ahead and delete the last 5 posts, I just want to say that yes, it did live through as you say "THREE iterations", but it was released 2 months before 10.9 was released (which Avid had to have known was coming), and most would have bought it after 10.9 was released, so it really only lived through 2, and regardless of whether you want to call it 2 or 3 iterations it is still less than 2.5yrs.

If there was anything else in my studio, software or gear, that I paid $420 for that in under 2.5 years of its release would simply lose one of its MAJOR functions if used with current system, I'd be equally mad.
You keep missing the point and that's been rehashed to death.

Simply put is: was there any REAL reason you went to ElCrapitan which you knew wasn't approved for usage with PT11? Remember that those who live on the bleeding edge are doomed to get cut by it.

QAPLA!