Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2016, 11:04 PM

Default Re: M-Audio Fast Track Ultra on El Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRob View Post
They have just updated the driver page with very bad news for the Fast Track Ultra.

"Version 2.3.3
This is the final driver release for the Fast Track Ultra
Qualified with Mac OS X 10.8.5, 10.9.5, 10.10, 10.10.1
Note that Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan (or later) is not compatible and will not be qualified"
And it took them over half a year to post this?
Old 02-04-2016, 03:04 AM

Same with Fast Track Pro:

Dec 16, 2014
This is the final driver release for the Fast Track Pro
Qualified with Mac OS X 10.8.5, 10.9.5, 10.10, 10.10.1
Note that Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan (or later) is not compatible and will not be qualified
Tested with Avid-qualified Apple computers (details)
Core 2 Duo Mac users read this

Luckly I switched to Steinberg months ago, I was expecting something like this from AVID.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:05 AM

It's a shame. The Fast Track Ultra is a fine interface and now abandoned by Avid.
Now we know not to buy an Avid interface ever again.
Goodbye Avid.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:45 AM

One last post before I leave this meaningless thread, since it's clear now Avid was just playing around with us for 4 months, and all of you victims of this so called company.
In their statement about end of support dates they comment:
"Final Sale Date is the last day a product is available for sale.
End of Sale is the date when a product may no longer be ordered or shipped
End of Support is the date which all forms of service and technical support for a product cease
*Note: Driver updates for some of our Audio hardware products may be provided beyond the Final Sale Date. Please check here to access the appropriate driver page for latest qualification information".

The End of Sale date for Fast Track Ultra 8R is 2/11/2013 and the End of Support date for this unit is 2/11/2018.
So, even if we assume that releasing drivers is not "technical support" (which should end on 2/11/2018), what about the guy that bought the unit on 2/11/2013?
Oh... he had the privilege of using his interface for 2 years before Avid abandoned him!!! Now he must spend 400-1200€ to buy a new one!!! Way to go Avid... Congratulations and good luck with your policy towards customers... This is a monument of respect!!!
Old 02-04-2016, 07:57 AM

Well put 👍
Old 02-04-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoukadaris View Post
Joel, I told you before: this is an interpretation of "support". My interpretation of support is to provide drivers for your USB interfaces and not let your customers face issues that force them to delay their OS updates or to spend money for new (not Avid of course) interfaces with fresh drivers for ever!!! And I also told you before: TASCAM has one month now released El Capitan drivers for its long now discontinued little US-200 audio interface, because it's a working and not a ghost (like Avid) company!!! Get to work or go home!!! Period!!!
You can interpret it how ever you wan't, but at the end of the day Avid has specifically said what End of Support dates are for, and they aren't for driver updates.

Not that I don't sympathize with you. My Project Mix IO and ProFire2626 are both no longer getting driver updates from M-Audio, both are great pieces of hardware working perfectly. Thankfully the old Windows 7 drivers are working ok with my Windows 10 install.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 02-04-2016, 11:23 AM

Joel, thanks for your reply, but I said my previous post was my last. There's no point in continuing arguing since Avid has stated that support for Fast Track Ultra 8R is over. One last question though: Avid states End of Support (2018 for this unit) is about service and technical support and notes that drivers may be provided beyond the Final Sale Date (2013 for this unit) for some products. Probably they don't know what they're talking about. What is "technical support" for a USB interface that needs drivers to work on an OS? And what do I need support if my interface does not work anymore? These matters are going to be discussed from now, but not here... And let us see who is right "at the end of the day"... And what are those Windows non Avid comments on a Mac-El Capitan/Avid thread? I don't get it. Thanks anyway.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoukadaris View Post
And what are those Windows non Avid comments on a Mac-El Capitan/Avid thread? I don't get it. Thanks anyway.
Just mentioning that I too have devices that are no longer getting driver updates, and I share your frustrations. Although I'm lucky enough to not be in a non working state due to them (they are not working on new OSX either though).

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 02-04-2016, 12:49 PM

The only other thing anyone can do is create a small partition on your HD and install Yosemite (or whatever OS you want) so that you can still use the interface. I myself will do this so I can at least have the option of using the interface while in the go.

Other than that, I'm never buying an Avid product again and will inform my peers to do the same.

And I thought Digidesign was bad about releasing updated drivers
Old 02-04-2016, 05:59 PM

I do think Avid handled this badly and will lose customers as a result, but is it fair to also look at Apple that made these changes that rendered a bunch of USB audio gear unworkable? Some companies were able to update, and perhaps, particularly as a non-Avid product originally, Avid just saw too many changes were needed, or maybe never got it to work. Regardless, ordered a Focusrite today. Adios Avid.