How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2013, 10:43 AM

Default re-installing pro tools 10 on windows 7

Hi,

Due to some problems, i had to re-install a clean copy of windows 7 (on my C drive) and all my softwares. I re-installed Pt 10 but all my plugins and virtual instruments were previously installed on another drive (D) wich i didn't touch. PT won't find the previously installed plugins and instruments on my D drive. Where can i change the default plugin location in PT? Is it the way to do it, or do i have to re-install all the plugins again, wich would take forever...

Thanks
Old 04-21-2013, 11:27 AM

Default Re: re-installing pro tools 10 on windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmannnn View Post
Hi,

Due to some problems, i had to re-install a clean copy of windows 7 (on my C drive) and all my softwares. I re-installed Pt 10 but all my plugins and virtual instruments were previously installed on another drive (D) wich i didn't touch. PT won't find the previously installed plugins and instruments on my D drive. Where can i change the default plugin location in PT? Is it the way to do it, or do i have to re-install all the plugins again, wich would take forever...

Thanks
It's best if you reinstall the plugins, but you don't always have to reinstall sample libraries. The actual plugins that Pro Tools accesses will reside on on your System (C) drive. While it is possible to sometimes copy and paste them into the proper folder(s), many plugins require other files in other folders on the system drive that will be put in place during the plugin installation.

On another note, you see why it's so handy to have a backup drive or image in place of a working Windows 7/Pro Tools O/S. Most people who do this have been in the exact position you're in! Good luck.

Chris

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 PM

Thanks Chris! I really appreciate. This is quite a new setup for me and i was planning on making an image of my system drive soon but i went into issues and had to reinstall windows. Can you tell me what is the best setup with multiple drives? I have a 250g SSD drive for the system and softwares, and 2 other drives available: "D" (725 gb available) where i keep my documents and "E" (2,000 gb). My fist idea was to put all my plugings and virtual instruments on "D" (software and sample librairies) and all my audio tracks and PT projects on "E". Is it better to put plugins on the system drive? I'm a little confused about that... What would you do with such a setup?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:19 AM

Large sample libraries are best installed to a 3rd drive. The trick is to re-link the plugin(s) to the libraries. I hit this with SD2 and sometimes I am able to re-link(and sometimes I uninstall and re-install). Surely a testament to my skills as a computer geek(or lack thereof)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave