Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Command|8 re-design?

Hey,

now that Digi has come out with the 003, and Pro Tools 7.3.x is offering tons of more user interface goodies... anyone hear of a Command|8 re-design around the corner?

Digi?

Please???

M-Audio ProjectMix I/O
LaCie d2 Quadra Hard Drive
Old 05-27-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Command|8 re-design?

I wouldn't be surprised, but then the Command|8 is a solid, well-selling unit so maybe not.

If there were an upgrade I would ask for these features;

-The faders from the 003 - they rock!

-Alt. monitor outputs

-Talkback

-Automation enabling/switching like on the 003 (why this wasn't included on the original is baffling)

-Memory location recall like on the 003

-MIDI maps and switching for controlling other apps (like on the 003)

-Scrub/Jog wheel like on ...

What I do NOT want from the 003 is the footprint - it's too big. My Command|8 is just the right size.

Also, DO NOT PUT THE TRANSPORT BUTTONS FROM THE 003 ON THE NEW CONTROLLER FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD!

Sorry for shouting, but transport controls are important to me - they need to feel good, you use them more than anything else. The Transport controls on the 002 and Command|8 were bad enough, but at least they had a bit of 'click' to them so you knew you had executed a function. The 003's buttons are spongy and horrid, bringing the overall experience of using it down (thank goodness for those yummy faders!). The machine control-like buttons from the Control|24/Icon series would be perfect - surely it's not an issue of cost?

Other than that, I guess the mushroom knobs are inevitable. I don't mind them as much as many others, but when you compare them to the great knobs on the Command|8 already, they just don't cut it in my opinion.

Peace

Sonny
Old 05-28-2007, 11:39 AM

Well, one might suspect they'll release a C8 based on the 003, but Digidesign is as closed as they can be. About the mushroom knobs, to me it seems like most the people who complain about them really haven't used them, saying they will break and what not, seriously, has anyone ever heard about one of these break? Oh well, I guess we'll get shrooms on the new control surface if it's ever released. I'd personally be more interested in a new C24, or a mid-level Venue which someone referred to as the "Coffee house"
Old 05-28-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
a mid-level Venue which someone referred to as the "Coffee house"
Now your talking!

filo
Old 04-09-2008, 08:30 PM

It seems like the only one without a shuttle. I went from a us2400 to the c8. I miss the shuttle so much I'm going back. I'll figure out a way to make it fit.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:10 PM

Command 8 has MIDI maps and switching for controlling other apps. I use it with Nuendo too.