Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2017, 04:05 PM

Default Headphones Output missing in ASIO4ALL, invalid in Windows Audio Device

Hey, all

A lot of post about similar issues, but none addressing my particular problem:
I can't get sound in ProTools to come through my headphones.

I can get sound to come through on my laptop's built-in speakers, but not through my in-ear headphones that plug into the jack.
I've double checked all the basics (that they are plugged in, not-muted, etc.).
My headphones deliver sound for every other operation on the machine (Youtube, Spotify all deliver sound through headphones at the same time that ProTools delivers through my laptop's speakers).
When I go into Windows sound settings, Realtek High Definition Audio Headphones are an option.
When I go into Setup>Hardware, they are not an option, even if I expand the menu (all my options under Realtek High Definition Audio are Realtek HD Audio output, HD Mic input, HDA SPDIF Out, and HD Audio Stereo input--no headphones).
When I go into Setup>Playback Engine, if ASIO4ALL v2 is my playback engine, my headphones do not appear as an output option.
If I open a protools session at this point, the sound comes through my built-in speakers. This is currently the only way for me to fire up a session.
When I go into Setup>Playback Engine and I change my playback engine to Windows Audio Device, they ARE an option (as Headphone/Digital Output Realtek-hd-audio) under Audio Output. However, when I attempt to set this and click okay, I receive the error message: "The selected audio device could not be initialized. Please choose another audio device."
I have tried removing and reinstalling ASIO4ALL, but my headphones still won't appear as an output.

What can I do, fam?
Desande

------
PC: MSI
Edition: Windows 10
Version: 1703
OS Build: 15063.632

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @2.80GHz 2.80GHz
Installed RAM: 16.0GB
System Type: 64-bit, x64

Audio Interface: System sound, Skullcandy strum in-ear headphones

Pro Tools First 12.8
Old 10-17-2017, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Headphones Output missing in ASIO4ALL, invalid in Windows Audio Device

Why use ASIO4ALL if you're using the built-in sound device? Use the proper driver for the Realtek. And as far as not seeing the headphones in PT on most computers the 'phones output is the same as the built-in speakers; plugging in the cans should mute the internal speakers. So in PT select the Realtek HD audio output and you should be good to go.

The best answer though is to get a real audio interface. You'll get much better sound than from that built-in gamer soundcard. That's all Realtek's ever were and are good for - game sound and not any kind of serious audio work. And while you're at it get a good pair of headphones. Your ears and your audio will thank you for these things.

QAPLA!
Old 10-17-2017, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Headphones Output missing in ASIO4ALL, invalid in Windows Audio Device

On a PC you have to use Asio4all in order to use onboard soundcards.

As said above get a cheap asio interface instead of using that nasty soundcard inside the PC.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-17-2017, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
On a PC you have to use Asio4all in order to use onboard soundcards.

As said above get a cheap asio interface instead of using that nasty soundcard inside the PC.
Thanks for the clarification on the ASIO thing; I could swear that back in prehistoric times when I had a Windoze system running Sonar 3 I didn't need ASIO4ALL but it could be my memory playing tricks on this old mind

QAPLA!
Old 10-17-2017, 06:59 PM

It seems PT requires ASIO drivers on the PC, but in the old days other DAWs would work with standard windows drivers. So I don't think you can escape using ASIO4ALL with the internal audio in PT, but your memory isn't failing you.

I don't completely agree with those people dismissing the Realtek chipsets for audio. My current motherboard has an onboard Realtek chip that is nearly as good as a decent outboard audio interface for monitoring. I don't think I would use it for recording, but I used it for mixing when my interface was down, and it worked just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Thanks for the clarification on the ASIO thing; I could swear that back in prehistoric times when I had a Windoze system running Sonar 3 I didn't need ASIO4ALL but it could be my memory playing tricks on this old mind
Old 10-18-2017, 04:19 PM

Thanks for replying, I'm still not sure though what to do to fix the problem.
I am not using my Realtek soundchip (since it doesn't even allow protools to run) and am using ASIO. The problem is still that no 'Headphone' output option shows up with ASIO selected. I can't use my headphones.

And I am only just introducing myself to ProTools First, so it doesn't make sense for me to invest in an external audio interface just yet.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desande View Post
Thanks for replying, I'm still not sure though what to do to fix the problem.
I am not using my Realtek soundchip (since it doesn't even allow protools to run) and am using ASIO. The problem is still that no 'Headphone' output option shows up with ASIO selected. I can't use my headphones.

And I am only just introducing myself to ProTools First, so it doesn't make sense for me to invest in an external audio interface just yet.
You're missing what I wrote; you don't select the headphone output but the main output of your built-in I/O or external I/O. Most headphones outputs are the same thing as the main output except for the rare thing where you can route them separate.

QAPLA!
Old 10-19-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
You're missing what I wrote; you don't select the headphone output but the main output of your built-in I/O or external I/O. Most headphones outputs are the same thing as the main output except for the rare thing where you can route them separate.

Right, but my problem is that I can't select the main output of my built-in I/O (I'm assuming that's what Windows Audio Device is). When I try to start up protools by switching from ASIO to that I get the error message "device could not be initialized."
Old 10-19-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desande View Post
Right, but my problem is that I can't select the main output of my built-in I/O (I'm assuming that's what Windows Audio Device is). When I try to start up protools by switching from ASIO to that I get the error message "device could not be initialized."
If you had mentioned earlier that your real problem was this and not the headphone output you might have gotten a quicker answer. Try this: hold down the 'n' key on your computer as PT starts up and you should be able to select the audio engine of your choice.

QAPLA!
Old 10-20-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
If you had mentioned earlier that your real problem was this and not the headphone output you might have gotten a quicker answer. Try this: hold down the 'n' key on your computer as PT starts up and you should be able to select the audio engine of your choice.
Mentioned it in my original post, but I'm new to the language of ProTools so it might have been clear. And my problem is still that when I navigate to the Playback Engine window (by pressing N upon startup or by going into Setup>Playback Engine), I see my Windows Audio Device engine displayed as an option along with a Headphones output--that's fine. But when I go to launch ProTools with that selected (ANY output: Headphones, built-in speakers, etc.) it will not launch do to the 'initialization' error.