Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 06-16-2017, 06:38 AM

Default best drum software?????

I've been fighting with Steven Slate drums for a while now and , well ,it's time for a change. Any suggestions??? Recommendations???
Old 06-16-2017, 08:13 AM

Default Re: best drum software?????

Afaik, the only drum pluging that has completely unprocessed samples (no additional HPF, compression, etc, just microphones, preamps and converters) is Sennheiser Drumica, and it's free.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdpar View Post
I've been fighting with Steven Slate drums for a while now and , well ,it's time for a change. Any suggestions??? Recommendations???
I've been using Toontrack's Superior Drummer for almost 10 years now and have never looked back. It is affordable, expandable (if you want), and can be as complex or as vanilla as you want it to be. If you're not a tweakhead and just want to drop some stock midi grooves into the track and hit play, you can do it easily. However, if you are anal and want to add a hit here or there, or delete a hit, or micro-manage the drum mixer you can get as in-depth as you want as well. Most of the time I find I don't have to do much with the stock grooves and sounds, but I have also invested in several Producer Presets that I like, as well as several expansion packs (each suited to a different type of music), so I just use what I think the song calls for and don't have to spend a lot of time adjusting things. I know you can also trigger Superior Drummer if you wanted to (I don't do that in my setup), and I have even controlled it via Midi with a keyboard before if that is your thing. It's also very stable and I haven't had any problems with it crashing my system, so that's a big plus!

Mac Pro Rack (7,1) 16-core 3.2gHz Intel Xeon W
OSX Catalina (10.15.4)
8TB Mac OEM SSD System Drive
(3) 1Tb 7200rpm audio hard drives
192Gb RAM
Radeon Pro Vega II Video Card
2 Avid HDX Cards
2 Avid 8X8X8 HD I/Os; 2 Avid 16X16 HD I/Os
PT Ultimate 2020.3
Old 06-20-2017, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjazzy41 View Post
I've been using Toontrack's Superior Drummer for almost 10 years now and have never looked back. It is affordable, expandable (if you want), and can be as complex or as vanilla as you want it to be. If you're not a tweakhead and just want to drop some stock midi grooves into the track and hit play, you can do it easily. However, if you are anal and want to add a hit here or there, or delete a hit, or micro-manage the drum mixer you can get as in-depth as you want as well. Most of the time I find I don't have to do much with the stock grooves and sounds, but I have also invested in several Producer Presets that I like, as well as several expansion packs (each suited to a different type of music), so I just use what I think the song calls for and don't have to spend a lot of time adjusting things. I know you can also trigger Superior Drummer if you wanted to (I don't do that in my setup), and I have even controlled it via Midi with a keyboard before if that is your thing. It's also very stable and I haven't had any problems with it crashing my system, so that's a big plus!
Superior Drummer 2 is the best. Total control. Authentic samples. Blows Slates drums away.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Afaik, the only drum pluging that has completely unprocessed samples (no additional HPF, compression, etc, just microphones, preamps and converters) is Sennheiser Drumica, and it's free.
I don't think so (unprocessed samples); you're forgetting fxpansion BFD 3. Not free but has really decent libraries as well as what comes stock with it.

QAPLA!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I don't think so (unprocessed samples); you're forgetting fxpansion BFD 3. Not free but has really decent libraries as well as what comes stock with it.
I don't have BFD3 so i don't know, you're probably right
Old 06-20-2017, 05:50 AM

Another thumbs up for Toontrack's software.
I have used both, the Easy and the Superior Drummers, and bot products are just simply fantastic.
Easy Drummer, as the name suggests, is easy and simple...drag and drop literally :) wile the Superior Drummer gives you TOTAL control.

- Mac Pro (Mid 2010) - OSX 10.13
- Pro Tools 2018.4
- Apogee Ensemble - Firewire
- Eleven Rack
Old 06-20-2017, 06:45 AM

Yes, another +1 for superior drummer.

I also use it with Drumagog Platinum to do drum replacement and enhancement when needed.

Works very well for me.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 06-20-2017, 07:26 AM

Worth considering as well is Air Music' "STRIKE!"

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 06-20-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdpar View Post

Both Toontrack products are great. Both Easy Drummer and Superior Drummer. I have been using them for years and have used most of the other products out there. For my taste the Toontrack stuff is absolutely the best. The best sounding and totally easy to use.