Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2016, 11:53 AM

Default C|24 becomes unresponsive

About once or twice every few months my C|24 will just become unresponsive. The display works, faders move with automation but they'll not write automation and will move right back to what automation is written in the session. Nothing will get it to work except a hard power off/on. Can't seem to recognize if I'm doing anything to make it happen.

I've seen where some say it's the power supply so I bought a new one...but it still happens. No big deal when I'm working alone...but it's not good when it happens while recording or editing with a client. Thanks for any ideas.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:59 AM

Default Re: C|24 becomes unresponsive

Just the faders become unresponsive? What about all the other buttons?

If just faders then I would suspect grounding. Does it seem weather/humidity related? shoes etc. you are wearing? Make system the system and operator are suitably grounded.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

If just faders then I would suspect grounding. Does it seem weather/humidity related? shoes etc. you are wearing? Make system the system and operator are suitably grounded.
I have read stories of people having issues if their C24 is next to a body of water. Strange but true.

Have you tried recalibrating the faders and running all the tests?
Old 06-30-2016, 01:27 AM

I have a D-Control but regularly use a C24 and I've seen this. Only way I've found is to switch it off and on again. The fault I've seen is that the whole board (buttons, everything) is unresponsive, it wasn't just a fader touch issue. Not a useful answer for you, but your one isn't unique!

Pete
Old 07-01-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

Buttons and faders...everything. Just seems random. I'm in Houston so humidity is always a factor here...but doesn't seem to follow a pattern that I see.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I have read stories of people having issues if their C24 is next to a body of water. Strange but true.

Have you tried recalibrating the faders and running all the tests?
I live 50 miles from the Gulf of Mexico! I have recallibrated numerous times. Every now and again one fader will become unresponsive and have to recalibrate and it fixes the problem. But can 't recalibrate if everything is frozen. I'll go back and do all that. Thanks Marsdy.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobob View Post
Buttons and faders...everything. Just seems random. I'm in Houston so humidity is always a factor here...but doesn't seem to follow a pattern that I see.
That sounds like what Peter was saying and not the touch fader issue I was suspecting. And anyhow in the Houston area I would expect less touch fader problems unless you have HVAC pulling the humidity down crazy low.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I live 50 miles from the Gulf of Mexico! I have recallibrated numerous times. Every now and again one fader will become unresponsive and have to recalibrate and it fixes the problem. But can 't recalibrate if everything is frozen. I'll go back and do all that. Thanks Marsdy.
You could try a firmware reset.

1. Turn the C24 off.

2. Press and hold SELECT, SOLO and MUTE on fader channel #1 while powering the C24 back on.

3. Launch ProTools and visit SETUP menu > Peripherals > Ethernet Controllers.

4. There, un-check “Enable” then check “Enable” again. This will make ProTools rescan for the C24.

5. When scanning is complete, choose the C24 as the first unit. You’ll be promted that the firmware version does not match. Allow the firmware to be updated.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
You could try a firmware reset.

1. Turn the C24 off.

2. Press and hold SELECT, SOLO and MUTE on fader channel #1 while powering the C24 back on.

3. Launch ProTools and visit SETUP menu > Peripherals > Ethernet Controllers.

4. There, un-check “Enable” then check “Enable” again. This will make ProTools rescan for the C24.

5. When scanning is complete, choose the C24 as the first unit. You’ll be promted that the firmware version does not match. Allow the firmware to be updated.
Thank you Marsdy. That worked and it installed updated firmware. Maybe that will work...thanks again.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you Marsdy. That worked and it installed updated firmware. Maybe that will work...thanks again.
No problem. If that doesn't solve the problem then I guess you've got a hardware fault maybe?